2018 Recruitng Thread

Jerry Garcia

Re: 2018 Recruitng Thread

Postby Jerry Garcia » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:43 am

nittwittier wrote:One of our top commits, Isheem Young, has been taken in custody for a yet to be announced crime. This comes a few months after Dorian Hardy had hill schollie pulled for disciplinary issues.

Sigh. I'm nervous about the end of this cycle given this and the coaching changes...

If this kid is a knucklehead - and I withhold judgment until the facts are in - I'd rather this type of stuff happen before he's at PSU than when he's an actual signee. Statistically, a small percentage of all blue-chippers nationwide will become problems for their schools. Much better for PSU to see the problem beforehand than to own it afterwards. Besides, there are other potential unattached recruits in the pool for JF to successfully pursue.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:56 am

He was arrested for robbing a Wawa in South Philly.

Here are his coaches comments:
"I don't think I can really address that situation. Our kids are used to these kind of problems. It's not, of course, that every kid in Philadelphia has problems, but all of our kids have seen them before. The streets call these kids, and they have decide if they are going to listen to the call of the streets or if they are going to take the football path."

I disagree that the only choices are football or crime. What about the kids who don't have the athletic ability to play football at that level? Are they just screwed? I'm not knocking the coach, I'm sure he's doing the best he can in the environment he is in But, far too many of these kids think their choices are what this coach set out. As long as they believe that, their situation will never get better.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:44 am

With the little info we have and our 'visibility' I speculate we cut him loose. Somebody else like AL, OSU, FSU, etc will talk about second chances and will get positive press on how progressive and understanding they are. PSU does not have that luxury nor do I believe we should change our culture in this area.

Replace him with a 3* with Barkley attitude.

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:01 pm

Officially no longer a commit

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:34 pm

No surprise there. If convicted, he'll probably get a 3-5 year type sentence in prison. Basically it'll be the time he would have spent playing football at PSU. I understand no one is perfect. But, if he committed this crime, this will be one of those WTF were you thinking type incidents.

One thing I'll say is people in the Philly area are extremely unforgiving when it comes to crimes at Wawa.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:51 pm

He should have taken George Harrison's words to heart.

"...I don't need no wa wa..."

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:07 pm

Antwan Reed is no longer committed to PSU. Well, that sucks.

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:37 pm

Early signing period can't come soon enough. This class is still good. But recent losses of Young, Hardy and now Reed really sucks. Seemingly good reasons for the loss of each. But, don't want them to trigger nervousness amongst the others given all the uncertainty around the program right now. Coaches are on the road so I'm expecting more closing than losing

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:42 am

It's still going to be a very good class. Still has 3 O-linemen in it. It happens all the time to every school. I've heard it had to do with academics but who knows for sure. I think he was going to be a project anyway. I'm sure the staff has identified other players they can offer. I never worry about recruiting too much. Kids are going to do what they're going to do.

Shane

Postby Shane » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:52 am

With Reed it was definitely academics. What I'm reading on 247 is that the decommitment from Reed makes it seem like it was the players choice, when actually, it was agreed on that way between the Reed and the PSU coaches so that he could save some face and not say it was because he didn't qualify. Now I'm not sure what that does in the end because the "real" reason got out pretty quickly. Also opens up to accept commitments from the high level players that PSU seemingly leads for right now.