2018 Recruitng Thread

Carl Spackler

Re: 2018 Recruitng Thread

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:44 pm

I return home to find PSU picks up Parsons and Dotson, wow.

And, OSU is making excuses for numerous defections of ***** players, still a great class but not as great as predicted.

This is another good day in the scheme of things and promises an encouraging future for PSU football.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:52 pm

This is why I thought we would be ok with some coaching losses. Franklin has shown he can recruit talent.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:53 pm

JF is looking for Parson's to play middle LB. He is enrolling in January. Great get!!

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:15 pm

Saw that grower. JF is stocking his root cellar with linebackers. This leaves the defensive end position open for Oweh and others at this point as the competition is less with Parsons at MLB.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:24 am

My guess: Parson's will be a DE before his career is over. Too good on the edge.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:53 am

Carl Spackler wrote: JF is stocking his root cellar with linebackers.

Nicely played, Carl.

Also, nicely played, JF. Yesterday was a lollapollooza for PSU - reclaiming Parsons from OSU, getting Dotson from UCLA, and signing 100% of their expected eligible recruits. Can't get much better than that...you gotta have the players to compete for NCs and James is accumulating elite depth at every position. If all goes according to plan we should be making serious CFP runs in 2019 and onward. I was checking out the other BiG recruiting hauls, and outside of OSU and UM (marginally), no one else came close to JF's class. It's also easy to see why programs like Iowa and Wisky, while being royal pains-in-the-a$$ conference-wise, will never seriously compete for the CFP. It simply can't be done with boatloads of 3-stars. Those guys can get you division and maybe even conference championships, but never the big prize. It takes 4's and 5's - end of story.

Shane

Postby Shane » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:37 am

I know PSU was dealing with sanctions and what not but I saw an incredible stat yesterday. In the 4 years before Franklin took over, PSU signed a total of 17 4 and 5 star recruits. In the last 4 years, they have signed 45!!!! As the saying goes, its a whole lot more about the Jimmys and the Joes than the X's and O's.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:52 am

Hard to believe heading into 2016 there was even a debate if Franklin would survive long term at PSU. And here we are all upset with a 2 loss season.

Man, are we spoiled. I kind of like it.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:04 am

And here we are all upset with a 2 loss season. Man, are we spoiled. I kind of like it.

We are finally realizing our collective dream of becoming like OSU fans!

OK, I am now rubbing alcohol into my eyes and making myself a breakfast of rotting seafood.

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:06 pm

Shane wrote:I know PSU was dealing with sanctions and what not but I saw an incredible stat yesterday. In the 4 years before Franklin took over, PSU signed a total of 17 4 and 5 star recruits. In the last 4 years, they have signed 45!!!! As the saying goes, its a whole lot more about the Jimmys and the Joes than the X's and O's.

Crazy. I have followed recruiting closely for years and frankly, and it was a bummer to be a PSU fan for a long time. I remember the year after year disappointments of losing out on the Jelani Jenkins and Shariff Floyds, watching our rising stars like Dominique Easley's decommit when other offers came in, and convincing ourselves that those unrated players were just as good because our coaches knew better than these stupid recruiting services. A top 25 class is what I realistically could hope for. Now when you go to the Rivals page for example, and the commit list shows, the 4/5 stars take up so much space that the three stars dont even show-up. It really is nice to watch a signing day and expect good things. And think how exciting players like Parsons and Shorter will be!!! Great time to be a PSU fan :)

Class could have been even stronger outside of a few bizarre things. Two high 4 stars got schollies pulled because of craziness (punching a coach and robbing a freaking wawa) and one due to academic issues. One wonders what things would have been like had we held onto Justin Fields. That one stings a bit.

Still a few more gets out there. Hopefully we close Wheeler and Enis. Oweh and Smith will be battles.