2017 Team Thread

Blue&White

Re: 2017 Team Thread

Postby Blue&White » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:57 am

Agree with you. He seems like a great kid and he was under appreciated. Hope he gets a shot at the next level.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:41 am

He reminds me a lot of Evan Royster in that regard...a guy who just kept producing when other guys around him got more fanfare. Think he'll make a good slot receiver at the next level.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:14 pm

Yeah, Hamilton is a very special player and apparently a darn good person to boot. If more than one ball was allowed in play, he'd have accumulated over 300 catches, he was that good. We'll miss him, but.....NMU* !!

While there's still a few hours left in 2017 I will cast my votes for most underrated/underhyped/favorite players from the 2017 squad. I have two - Amani Orawariye and Tyrell Chavis. AO is an extremely talented guy who will anchor the secondary next year, and I predict he will be an awesome pro some day.

Chavis was way under the radar at DT yet had a bunch of great plays in his limited playing time. Plus, I just read about his difficult childhood, then while playing at Nassau County CC he was actually homeless, bunking with different friends and teammates during his time there. He said that at PSU he was just so overjoyed to have a roof over his head...and that's how he played. Loved seeing him out there.

Go Lions!
HNY*

*next men up
*happy new year :D

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:45 pm

Saquon declares! Let’s go JETS!!!

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:37 am

My underrated player of year would be Blake Gilliken - his punting really helped control field position throughout the year. Not only does he get deep punts but there was minimal returns on his punts. Wouldn't be surprised if this year PSU had one of their best net punt averages in school history.

And nominee for Hustle Play of the Year - on last play of Fiesta Bowl Brandon Smith hits the initial UW receiver (who laterals) - recovers and trails the play and intercepts the final lateral to end game. From walk on to Fiesta Bowl game clincher. Good from him.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:29 am

I've been reviewing the season and the bowl game, looking at stats etc. A couple of really interesting ones came up:

* PSU converted 48% of its 3rd downs this season and were ranked 5th in the country. Last year they converted 32.4% and were ranked 118th. That's a very impressive turnaround and the coaching staff deserves a ton of credit.

* Washington's QB was only sacked 16 times all season. PSU sacked him 4 times.

* PSU went from 45th in total defense in 2016 to 20th in 2017.

* PSU was 14th in sacks last year and 8th this year.

* Rushing yards allowed improved from 48th to 16th this year.

Individually you can't extrapolate a whole lot but when the overall trend is one of continuing improvement it's just another indicator of the bright future of the football program.

tempe

Postby tempe » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:26 pm

3rd down conversions won the game. I kept posting that stat during the game. Final was 13/17 - 76%, but much higher deep into the game.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... sults-2017

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:41 am

With the haul coming in this year, I have to believe we'll be in the playoff at least twice in next five years. Would love to see us mentioned in the same class as Clemson. Dabo's is a recruiting monster, has dominated the in state recruiting even before Spurrier left USC, and also has a national footprint when it comes to out of state.

The stats above (thx, Shore), are indicative of a program on the rise. Exciting times ahead, I believe.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:13 am

Penn State DB Jonathan Sutherland is possibly the 1st pick of NFL draft - well according to Browns - they put a poll for fans to ask if a RB was worth 1st pick - with a pic of # 26 from PSU. Only problem was the pic was Jonathan Sutherland (who also wears # 26) instead of Saquon Barkley - a much more likely potential # 1 draft pick.

Please not Cleveland, please not Cleveland, please not Cleveland.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:49 am

Saw a mock draft this weekend that put him in San Francisco. I think he's going to Cleveland, but I'm going to deny it until I have no choice but to face reality (and maybe not even then).
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?