Random Musings

Underlion

Random Musings

Postby Underlion » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:58 pm

ESPN (The Evil Empire) has to much influence on the football playoffs and they use it to the benefit of the SEC network which they own. AL loses they tell us how they will make the playoffs. They tell us why the B10 Champ does not deserve a spot. They pull out an odd statistic that suggests AL had a tougher schedule then OSU when everyone else is using a strength of schedule statistic that shows AL around 50.

If the playoff goes to 8 teams the first round should be at the higher ranked teams stadium. Maybe for once a B10 team will get home field advantage. Won't happen but I do so want to see AL playing in the snow :lol:

PSU Cheerleaders and Lion, is it not time to spruce them up some? I get we do not recruit 5* Miss America Cheerleaders, like some schools, and I'm Ok with that but they and the Lion could use a uniform upgrade. I'm sure the cheerleaders cheer great and have nice personalities :roll:

In an effort to speed the game slowed down by reviews and protect players we now have taken a page from baseball and the phantom double play. Get close to the sticks going OOB and we give you the first down. Measurements are almost non existent now? It is clear a decision has been made to give the phantom first down.

If we are so concerned about players health shouldn't we make the pads cover the knees? Do they require a mouth guard like in Pee Wee football or do players have the liberty to decide if they want to protect their teeth?

When is a son old enough to clean the turkey for soup after carving? How do you pass the knife? Cosby (dare I use that name) had a show where he passes the knife to his oldest son via a ceremony.

Is learning to take a snap under center difficult? If we did on 3rd and 1 would it be considered a trick play? How about if we actually passed the ball on 3rd and one after going under center? Is that an illegal procedure? That would really be an unexpected trick play.

Can you keep a QB by creating a special name for him? 'No, I can't give you a raise but I'll give you a title' (worked on Woody in a Cheers show).

Is it a procedure penalty now if the halfback gets the handoff while moving forward? These rule changes are confusing to us old guys...probably a way of protecting halfbacks?

Will the NCAA go back to listing more info? Minority graduation rate? average SAT score by University?

Will TV go back to televising where the players are from and their major? They are student athletes right?

Crowbar

Re: Random Musings

Postby Crowbar » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:30 am

Fwiw, Anthony Lubrano is not seeking another term on the BOT.
41-33.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:45 pm

Just speculating but if Stevens were going to transfer I would think he would have done so by now so he could participate in new school's spring practice.

Here is a musing - what would Barkley have done with a lead blocker
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Shane

Postby Shane » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:16 pm

The main insider on 247 is still maintaining that he doesn't expect Stevens to return. It's definitely not a done deal yet, but he's usually pretty tied in to those type of things.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:49 pm

Crowbar wrote:Fwiw, Anthony Lubrano is not seeking another term on the BOT.

The BoT probably has a massive going away part for him, and I'm sure he won't be invited.
Hire Alex Cora

ShoreLion

Postby ShoreLion » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:18 pm

sameoldlama wrote:Just speculating but if Stevens were going to transfer I would think he would have done so by now so he could participate in new school's spring practice.

Here is a musing - what would Barkley have done with a lead blocker

Stevens can't transfer yet. He has to graduate first. Then and only then is he eligible to play immediately.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:36 am

So is it basically if he graduates he doesn't need PSU to release him from his schollie and he is free to go wherever he wants
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:20 pm

sameoldlama wrote:So is it basically if he graduates he doesn't need PSU to release him from his schollie and he is free to go wherever he wants

Right. And if he didn't graduate he'd have to sit out a year regardless. The graduate transfer rule is if player graduates from his undergrad program and then wants to pursue a master's in a program that is not offered at the school he is already attending. The other side of the coin is that a school does not have to honor a scholarship once the player has graduated (assuming he still has eligibility). I don't have a problem with this rule. For once some smart kids are using football instead of football using them. They've all graduated, I think they've earned the right to go in another direction if they so choose. In fact, I think they should be able to go to any school no matter if their current school has the grad program they want to pursue or not. The goal is allegedly to graduate, these guys have done that.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:43 pm

Underlion wrote:ESPN (The Evil Empire) has to much influence on the football playoffs and they use it to the benefit of the SEC network which they own. AL loses they tell us how they will make the playoffs. They tell us why the B10 Champ does not deserve a spot. They pull out an odd statistic that suggests AL had a tougher schedule then OSU when everyone else is using a strength of schedule statistic that shows AL around 50.

If the playoff goes to 8 teams the first round should be at the higher ranked teams stadium. Maybe for once a B10 team will get home field advantage. Won't happen but I do so want to see AL playing in the snow :lol:

PSU Cheerleaders and Lion, is it not time to spruce them up some? I get we do not recruit 5* Miss America Cheerleaders, like some schools, and I'm Ok with that but they and the Lion could use a uniform upgrade. I'm sure the cheerleaders cheer great and have nice personalities :roll:

In an effort to speed the game slowed down by reviews and protect players we now have taken a page from baseball and the phantom double play. Get close to the sticks going OOB and we give you the first down. Measurements are almost non existent now? It is clear a decision has been made to give the phantom first down.

If we are so concerned about players health shouldn't we make the pads cover the knees? Do they require a mouth guard like in Pee Wee football or do players have the liberty to decide if they want to protect their teeth?

When is a son old enough to clean the turkey for soup after carving? How do you pass the knife? Cosby (dare I use that name) had a show where he passes the knife to his oldest son via a ceremony.

Is learning to take a snap under center difficult? If we did on 3rd and 1 would it be considered a trick play? How about if we actually passed the ball on 3rd and one after going under center? Is that an illegal procedure? That would really be an unexpected trick play.

Can you keep a QB by creating a special name for him? 'No, I can't give you a raise but I'll give you a title' (worked on Woody in a Cheers show).

Is it a procedure penalty now if the halfback gets the handoff while moving forward? These rule changes are confusing to us old guys...probably a way of protecting halfbacks?

Will the NCAA go back to listing more info? Minority graduation rate? average SAT score by University?

Will TV go back to televising where the players are from and their major? They are student athletes right?

I'm just as confused as you Under and likely as old. I do think Witvoet pioneered the "awarded first down" with his crooked walk although it only benefited two teams and the Lions were not included in that two. In fact, his crooked walk worked in reverse for our offense. I remember him fondly and hope his retirement home walks his lunch to him in the same manner he utilized in spotting the ball when PSU was on offense. He will starve in a week.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:00 am

I just read in the span of a half hour, Ohio State lost in the NCAA wrestling finals, the B10 hockey tournament and the NCAA basketball tournament.

That's pretty damn impressive.
41-33.