Barkley declares for the 2018 NFL Draft

Underlion

Re: Barkley declares for the 2018 NFL Draft

Postby Underlion » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:31 pm

We will miss him more for his leadership and je ne sais quois than play. He is the kind of guy that improves a team and a program.

I wish him a long successful career, the one few PSU greats have gotten. I will likely root for whatever team he goes to.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:39 pm

I think Barkley is going to Cleveland. It's a Big 10 area and he will bring excitement. With the 1st and 4th picks in the draft, I wouldn't be surprised if he went first and they took one of several QBs with the 4th pick (and Rosen already said he won't play in Cleveland). If they don't take him first, I doubt the Giants or the Colts take him, but it's tough to say for certain.

The Giants took a QB in the 3rd round last year. They may not have given up on him (impossible to know and he didn't take a freaking snap this year, which is really maddening) but the new regime won't have any loyalty to past picks. So, they may go for a QB in Rosen. They already have some decent RBs and it's just not the next priority. What they don't have is a line. The Giants philosophy has historically been to take the best player on the board, regardless of position, but they have a brand new GM, Dave Gettleman, and the pressure to win is enormous. I doubt they take a RB.

I'm not sure what to think about the Colts. Seems they need a defense more than anything but they may remember how great Faulk was and be thinking that Barkley and a healthy Luck could really change things.

If he does make it past the Colts and Giants, I can't believe the Browns pass on him twice. I think he's in Cleveland but will be ecstatic if he's with Big Blue.
#Emmertknew

Shane

Postby Shane » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:47 pm

To answer the question on the previous page, I don't believe Barkley fumbled at all this year and think his last one was at Pitt last year.

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:23 pm

Correct! Zero this year. And four for his career (which was higher than I thought). This is more remarkable when you consider how many balls he catches and how many times he got hit immediately after being handed the ball. Just another of many feathers in his cap.

I’m excited about Sanders next year, but he is going to fumble a few times. Never had that sorry with SB

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:30 pm

Growing belief the Giants pass on quarterback at 2

:D

I don't believe this and still think the Giants are taking a QB but a boy can dream.
#Emmertknew

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:33 pm

I'm kind of thinking that Gettlemen is a best player available kind of guy. With Rosen's concussion history, Darnold's small hands and propensity for picks, Baker and Jackson's height issues, and the kid from Wyoming's inconsistent play in a non power 5 conference, I'm thinking that Barkley would be the 'safe' pick.

It wouldn't shock me if they didn't take him, but I wouldn't be shocked if they did, as well.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:40 pm

The money being speculated for Cousins seems insane to me but it seems possible either Cleveland or the G-Man could sign Cousins which frees up either one to go Barkley at #1 or #2. Depending on who signs Cousins a team may also want to jump into that #2, 3 or 4 slot to grab a QB. I still think Cleveland is likely landing spot but it's not a lock.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:03 pm

Cousins will not sign with the Giants. Won't happen. He's not signing on and waiting for Eli to retire.
#Emmertknew

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:08 pm

I'm not sure what cap implications / dead money would be but I'm assuming if you sign Cousins you cut Eli.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:29 pm

I had not considered that as an option.

I think that is unlikely for a lot of reasons but it's actually not a bad idea. Cousins is a decent QB. And right now I think he's probably a better option than Eli. A good team can win with him. You draft a kid out of college, it's like a box of chocolates. How many QBs have come into the NFL with high expectations only to bomb out? How many teams struggle for years to find a serviceable starting QB? Most teams can do a whole lot worse than Cousins.

After the debacle with benching Eli last season, I can't see John Mara agreeing to anything like that. Even if it's the right thing to do for the team long term, I can't see it happening. Which is a shame. Eli may have enough left in the tank for one more good run, but he also may not. And, they didn't even put their 3rd round QB pick on the field last year to see what he could do. The whole thing was handled so badly I can't see, even with a new front office, the Giants being willing to take the heat that comes with cutting Manning.

Shame they didn't hire you as GM, or even a consultant. That's really not a bad idea. I'll take Cousins over some unproven college QB every time.
#Emmertknew