Barkley declares for the 2018 NFL Draft

msteinruck
Site Admin

Barkley declares for the 2018 NFL Draft

Postby msteinruck » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:55 pm

We all knew it was coming, and I definitely can't blame him. Penn State is losing a lot of guys who have been Saturdays electrifying, but Barkley is just definitely the generational talent that they talk about. Can't wait to see what he does in the NFL.

Nat@PSU

Re: Barkley declares for the 2018 NFL Draft

Postby Nat@PSU » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:21 am

What an outstanding young man and player. I seriously doubt I'll see a better one in the Blue and White in my lifetime. And if we do, what a future we have in store!

Best of luck young man, you deserve great joy and success.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:36 pm

Usually I'm a little selfish about guys declaring early, but for SB I'm absolutely elated. It is 100% the correct decision. Plus I'm excited about Sanders getting the spotlight - I think he's a 1000-yd guy waiting to happen. This way, too, Ricky Slade and Journey Brown might see the field soon and those guys have the potential to knock our socks off. This is what an elite program looks like.

Go Lions!

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:54 pm

Been saying for years (and CJF has said same thing) - if a kid was a computer science major and after his junior year Microsoft was felt he was ready to start work and they would be offering him a 4 year top dollar contract people would think the kid was crazy to go back to school. A major focus of college is to prepare you for your chosen career. Well SB is ready.

SB is one of those guys - aside from his on the field talent - who helped elevate the program at a time it was sorely needed. I would put him in a class with guys like Poz, D.Williams, Mauti, Collins - guys who changed perceptions or who provided leadership at critical times.

I also think the PSU coaching staff did right by him - he has a complete skill set (running inside and out, pass catching, pass protection) and they didn't overuse him (he doesn't have near the tread wear of Bryce Love / Penny).

As far as the SB sweepstakes I see him going to no later than 4th - Indy has Frank Gore and he's about done. I think the Giants can go with strategy that Eli is still a QB you can win with if your top 3 receivers don't get injured and you beef up OL via FA / draft. The investment in D has been made.

But I see Cleveland taking a QB and also wanting SB - so if they are locked own on a particular QB they will go #1 with QB and don't be shocked if they package some picks to get the #2 pick (they have a ton). Or if they feel the QBs are an "either/or" SB might go #1.

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:12 pm

Indy needs defensive players badly. They can’t take SB. They’ll take a guy like Minkah Fitzpatrick or whatever top DT is available.

Giants and Browns will go QB with first picks. So the question is will Cleveland take him with their second first rounder. I hope not because then he will be a Jet :)

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:17 pm

Crap. Just realized stupid Denver sits at five. He will never make it past them...once again the Jets can’t even lose properly

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:53 pm

Denver is looking QB first if there is someone worth taking.

And let's be honest - teams picking Top 5 generally have multiple needs - Indy won't pass on taking someone who can take pressure off Luck.

SB has the film - if he posts combine or pro day numbers in line with what we've heard about his PSU workouts he's coming off board fast. With 4 picks in top 34 picks Browns have some flexibility to make deals and decide when they want to address each need. In theory if they keep the picks you'd think any organization who just had #1 pick and is stacked with picks this year should be poised for a real step up - but this is the Browns.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:15 pm

Realistically, the Browns make the most sense for SB. They are located in a shitty part of the country where you need to have a running game. If I were the Browns GM, I would invest in a defense, a running back, and an offensive line.

I want to see Bdubs face when the Jints take Darnold. I am not sold on Darnold at all. I think he is lazy and looks the part. I think he turns out like Cutler who I cannot stand

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:06 pm

Agreed. He will sell tickets too. Unless somebody pays a kings ransom for the pick, Browns will take him.

Denver need a QB but presumably the two best will be gone by them. So they may gamble on getting one second round.

Indy will not take him. They have absolutely nothing on the defensive side and have to address that immediately. There’s having holes then theres having nothing. If there’s a top DL out there he will be in Indy. Unless they feel that the talent at that position is lacking

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:09 pm

I was reflecting on his greatness the last couple of days and I started thinking about how I can’t remember him fumbling (which, for all his talent, Sanders seems to be prone to).

So trivia for you guys (no google!) - how many fumbles did Barkley have this season? How many for his career?