2017 Team Thread

LioninVa

2017 Team Thread

Postby LioninVa » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:36 am

Since we are all starting over, I thought we could use a thread that covers the team this year. And I found this article on Saquon

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2722988-saquon-barkley-is-the-superstar-college-football-and-penn-state-needs?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

This morning that I wanted to share.
It sure beats some of the political crap we have been discussing...

Shane

Re: 2017 Team Thread

Postby Shane » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:50 am

Enjoy this year, talents like him don't come around very often. Hard to believe he was a Rutgers commit at one point.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:14 am

If he stays healthy, he should have a solid NFL career too. I always remember how Kijana busted his knee right out of the gate with the Bengals and just never recovered. Hopefully he keeps his knees strong and had a great career.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:18 am

He's just such a likable kid. Always humble, giving others credit, doing nice things. I'm sure he has his moments as we all do from time to time but what a great ambassador for PSU. Actually, and I've said this before, Franklin definitely seems to be recruiting good people and not just players. I'm sure some will mess up when you have that many but it sure seems like he's trying to do it the right way.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:53 am

Blue&White wrote:If he stays healthy, he should have a solid NFL career too. I always remember how Kijana busted his knee right out of the gate with the Bengals and just never recovered. Hopefully he keeps his knees strong and had a great career.

In my mind, Saquon Barkley is the second coming (sorry for the hyperbole) of Curt Warner. Seems to be the real deal on and off the field....great talent, attitude and confidence leavened by a touch of humility. He should prosper in the NFL, barring injury. Curt Warner also suffered a severe knee injury which no doubt cut his career short with the Seahawks. Not sure if he would have ended his career with Hall-of-Fame numbers, but it's pleasant to think so.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:44 pm

My view of the 2017 Lions

Offense
Could be Penn State's best offense since 94. Well stocked at the skill positions in talent, experience and depth. Barkley, McSorely and Gisecki just need to do what they do. I think Robinson showed he can be a solid #2 behind Barkley. At WR need someone to step up to the "go to" guy that Godwin was last year (imagine if he had come back). Would like to see Hamilton be more consistent in involvement in games (some games he has 8 catches, next he disappears). Maybe it's just me but Blacknall looks like he has a body frame which makes him a tough physical match up for DBs who could run up a lot of RAC and be a red zone target. Will need to see a third WR emerge out of Johnson, Tompkins or Charles. I'm actually optimistic the OL will come up a notch and be a strength and if that happens PSU should average 35-40 points a game.
They benefit from more experience with Moorhead's offense but they also won't surprise anyone this year - there is a book out on them now but I think the talent and increased comfort level will win out.

Defense
The defense will likely determine how far PSU goes - as the Rose Bowl proved - you can't win every basketball game. There is proven talent at each level (Cothren, Cabinda, Allen, Haley) but the D will need 3-4 players to really step up a level - Farmer, Miller and Bowen are guys I see as poised to take it up a notch. The two key areas they need to improve IMO are generating TOs and getting consistent penetration in the trenches. If they can prevent opponents from eating clock and provide the O extra possessions via TOs or 3 and outs the O will put a hurt on opponents.

Special Teams
With the roster finally filling out this area was improved last year and should improve even more this year. FG kicking and punting are on lock down with Davis and Gilliken. Going to miss Julius driving balls out of the end zone. Kick / punt coverage was solid and should continue with team having depth. The area we need to see improvement - returns. Need to see an extra 5-10 yards on KOs and 3-5 on average for punts. Need to see a big return in a big moment.

Two weeks folks and put a big red circle on September 9.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:26 pm

PSU no. 6 in the newly released AP poll.

I don't like starting this high. I'd prefer if there were lower expectations.

scottopus

Postby scottopus » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:11 pm

Blue&White wrote:I don't like starting this high. I'd prefer if there were lower expectations.

We deserve to start this high based on last years results, all the returning talent, and all our talented roaster. Starting this high has already started the discussion of Penn State being in the playoff. I really think this high ranking helps with our path towards the playoffs.

Franklin will have them focused - Akron, Akron, Akron. The team leaders are leading by example and seem to have the team buying into the program.

Looking foward to watching this team play taking on Akron and starting a special and exciting season.

chas

Postby chas » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:10 pm

Prediction Time for the 2017 Season

Schedule:

Akron - An absolute destruction of the visitors. This Penn State team is ready to play. All the reports indicate the coaches have a set plan and the pieces are in place. W 59-7

Pittsburgh - A statement game. Pitt does not have the talent they had last year, but they have a competitive team. I see an absolute clubbing of the Panthers. W 44-14

Georgia State - Everyone plays and some key people get to take a rest. W 48-10

Iowa - This will be competitive. The Hawkeyes were murdered in State College last year. They will have something to prove. Our first road game. We make a second half surge to win W 38 - 21

Indiana - I am not sure that the changes at Indiana have all been for the best. W 47 - 17

Northwestern - It seems that all the prognosticators who follow Penn State see this as a trap game. Many see a loss. That will not happen. Penn State will control throughout and the score will look closer than it should. W 38- 21

Bye Week - A 6-0 start has the team rated #3 in the country. Saquon has 850 yards rushing and his play in the passing game has produced another 300 yards and 3 touchdowns. The Heisman talk has him as the odds on favorite.

Michigan - Michigan comes in with lots of talent, but mixed results in the first half of their season. They give Penn State a tough first half, but big plays by the pass offense give the good guys the game. W 34 - 23

tOSU - 2 vs. 3. As usual, the Buckeye fans give their opponents no respect leading up to the game. The Ohio press agrees with their fans. The Nittany Lion players have a chip on their shoulders. A close game breaks the Lions way in the second half, when video replay overturns a call by an official who had ruled a PSU receiver had fumbled a ball returned for a tOSU touchdown. Later in the series a wheel route to Saquon puts the Lions up to stay. W 31-28

Michigan State - The Spartans are the surprise team in the Big. Despite a horrible off season they come into the game with just two losses and some have them winning a game that is moved to prime time. They don't. W 41 - 17

Nebraska - In future years people look back on this game similar to the way we remember Illinois in 94. Everything goes wrong that can go wrong. It comes down to which team has the better special teams. A punt return late in the second half gives the Lions a victory. W 27 -24

Maryland - Teams just don't go undefeated anymore. After this game few doubt that a true rivalry exists. L 31 - 34

Just like Clemson in 2016 Penn State makes the playoffs despite a late season disappointment. They get to Atlanta for the championship, but it's at this point my crystal ball fogs up. Perhaps in December it will clear and I will see the outcome.

Players:

Saquon is invited to the Heisman awards ceremony. He has had a season for the ages. 1850 yards rushing. 560 receiving yards. 24 touchdowns. He picks up a trophy and gives it to fan facing a life threatening illness.

Trace takes all the single season passing records home with him. His td/interception ratio suffers, and Maryland mistakes cool his Heisman chances.

Gesicki becomes a first team AA.

Wade gets five turnovers, 3 interceptions and 2 fumbles, and leads the defense to a season where turnovers become common place.

Juwan does not have the monster season, but his 42 receptions and 17 yards per catch come awfully close.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:52 pm

Love the Pitt score.

Also love the 11-1 season prediction, although I don't think the loss will be at Maryland. I think we lose 1 game along the way, but it won't be against the Terps. I think OSU at OSU is the more likely game we lose.