Re: 2017 Team Thread

Postby We Are...2 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:08 am

Here is who will help our cause this weekend:

Wake Forest (+14) at Notre Dame: 3:30 p.m., NBC
North Carolina State (+7) vs. Clemson: 3:30, ABC
Texas (+7) at TCU: 7:15, ESPN
Indiana (+12.5) at Wisconsin: Noon, ABC
Virginia Tech (-2.5) at Miami: 8, ABC
Michigan (-15.5) vs. Minnesota: 7:30, FOX (for quality win purposes)
Oregon (+17.5) at Washington: 10, FS1
Iowa (+18) vs. Ohio State: 3:30 p.m., ESPN (probably OSU here, but could make case that Iowa win helps as much)
Oklahoma (+2.5) at Oklahoma State: 4 p.m., FS1 (one team will suffer its second defeat and be eliminated, though Oklahoma has better win, so probably root for the Cowboys)
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:21 am

Man I go on an extended vacation and leave you guys in charge and the whole season goes to Emmert.

I guess the silver lining in being on vacation when this happened is - I only had to see lowlights of the MSU debacle and didn't have to deal with the local PSU haters (actually got a lot of pro PSU comments when wearing PSU stuff in southern AZ and Cali).

Most the Xs and Os comments have been covered by in game threads but I see it as the PSU program has one step remaining in its development - finishing games against ranked opponents on the road / neutral sites. Consider:

Franklin 3-9 vs MSU, OSU, UM - 3-3 at home, 0-6 on road.
Last 6 losses - Georgia, Pitt, UM, USC, OSU, MSU
> all road or neutral site
> USC, OSU, MSU had 4th QT leads, Georgia, Pitt had opportunities to tie / win with score
> only significant road neutral site wins last two years are Iowa and UW in B1? Championship game.

As much as it is play calling / execution I think there is a mental aspect that still needs to be developed in the program of "keeping your head" under the most difficult situation - away from home, 4th QT, quality opponent - game on the line.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:26 pm

Very good points, lama. I would add that we may still be a little weak on the front lines. I would like to think that this is a result of the sanctions and that schollys went more to skill positions when depleted. That has been corrected but I feel that there is still damage to the development in those areas.

All in all, while I am disappointed with the failure to close out close games late, I can’t complain too much at this point.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:25 pm

While the lama makes a good point I agree with the Lion in VA generally. We had high hopes spiked by the early season success and a Heisman candidate. Now we have a good but deflated season and a Heisman candidate who hasn't been able to rush for many yards.

I suspect our lines, both sides, are not quite there yet. Recruiting will help and each season should build the lines skills and brute force. If your line is good you likely mask other deficiencies. Sanctions hurt our line development. Recruiting by Bill O'B focused on skill players and CJF is beginning to balance the roster to need. It will work itself out and maybe our fourth quarter issues in away games will also trend in a positive direction.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:48 am

Should be a very interesting Saturday...outcome will shape Bowl games!

Saturday, Nov. 11

No. 12 Michigan State at No. 13 Ohio State | Noon | FOX

Rutgers at No. 14 Penn State | Noon | Big Ten Network

No. 15 Oklahoma State at No. 21 Iowa State | Noon | ABC/ESPN2/WatchESPN

Connecticut at No. 18 UCF | Noon | ESPNU/WatchESPN

Arkansas at No. 24 LSU | Noon | ESPN/WatchESPN

No. 23 NC State at Boston College | Noon | ABC/ESPN2/WatchESPN

No. 17 Virginia Tech at Georgia Tech | 12:20 p.m. | ACC Network

No. 1 Georgia at No. 10 Auburn | 3:30 p.m. | CBS

Florida State at No. 4 Clemson | 3:30 p.m. | ESPN/WatchESPN

No. 20 Iowa at No. 8 Wisconsin | 3:30 p.m. | ABC/WatchESPN

No. 11 USC at Colorado | 4 p.m. | FOX

No. 19 Washington State at Utah | 5:30 p.m. | Pac-12 Network

No. 2 Alabama at No. 16 Mississippi State | 7 p.m. | ESPN/WatchESPN

Purdue at No. 25 Northwestern | 7 p.m. | ESPN2/WatchESPN

No. 3 Notre Dame at No. 7 Miami (Florida) | 8 p.m. | ABC/WatchESPN

No. 6 TCU at No. 5 Oklahoma | 8 p.m. | FOX
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:04 am

I'd agree the OL and Dl are probably the areas that need further depth and development but I would also say they are the same group that PSU won the B1? with and had two scores leads against OSU and USC going into 4th QT.

In the MSU / OSU games PSU yielded 7 first downs via penalties - when those come on a 3rd down in 4th QT that's about the same as a TO. Part of that is composure. I also agree with previous comments that the coaching staff has gotten to conservative / predictable (especially on offense) on the road with leads and couldn't recognize the D was struggling and more TDs would be needed.

Closing out 4th QT, ranked opponent on the road - last tic mark CJF needs to check off to make PSU a top program.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:32 am

Curious...why do most on this board refer to Franklin as "CJF?" Is that for Coach James Franklin? It drove me to look up his full name, which is James Geoffrey Franklin. I assumed that it was Charles J.F. or maybe Carl J.F.

Slow day.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:36 am

I was using as Coach James Franklin

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:46 am

It's Carl, we are identical twins growing up in different generations and places.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:02 pm

That must have been a very tricky birth, Carl.

CJF was coined by somebody here as Coach James Franklin. Forget who. Might have been me, though maybe not.

Anywho - 15th anniversary yesterday - taking my wife somewhere on Saturday to celebrate, not sure where yet. You guys need to hold down the fort. Try to do a better job of it, please.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.