2017 Team Thread

Shane

Re: 2017 Team Thread

Postby Shane » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:06 pm

I've not seen this anywhere regarding Charles. He did not dress for the Rutgers game but did play against Maryland. Not saying its not true, but haven't seen any evidence to believe it either.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:47 pm

Saquan Barkley is not a Heisman finalist. That goes to Mayfield, Jackson and Love. What a sham.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:05 am

Nat, I believe it is an anti Penn State bias but coukd never prove it. Probably because I am biased as well?

Anyway, Spats and The Skellar announced to be closing and Saquon snubbed is the same day. And the hoops team falls short by 1 in what would have been an epic comeback and last night kind of sucks...

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:10 am

Saquan Barkley is not a Heisman finalist. That goes to Mayfield, Jackson and Love. What a sham.

The bigger sham is that there are no "finalists". Finalist implies you're still in it, which is not the case here. One of those guys won. The other two lost.

Oh, I say and I say it again. Ya been had! Ya been took! Ya been hoodwinked! Bamboozled! Led astray! Run amok! -- Malcolm X

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:28 am

Anyway, Spats and The Skellar announced to be closing and Saquon snubbed is the same day

The skellar is closing? Really?

All the hang outs of my youth are vanishing. There is a Cajun restaurant in New Brunswick, NJ called The Old Bay. It was one of the first places in central NJ to feature New Orleans style food, and also the first to feature craft beers (going back to the early 90s when the trend first started). It also had blues bands every weekend. It was a fantastic place. I spent a lot of my early and mid-20s there helping pay the bills. Last month they announced that, after 30 years they are closing on December 23. A bunch of my friends and I went this past Saturday for one last outing and to say goodbye to the place. The owner invited us back for the grand finale (and told us that if we hadn't stopped coming when we all got married and had kids perhaps he wouldn't now be shutting the doors ... but hey, no pressure). And now I find out the Skellar is going away. Is nothing sacred?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:52 am

The restaurant business is brutal. As a young professional, there was a pub I went to with co-workers every Friday after work for a cold beer and unhealthy appetizers. We could bug out early because we had usually put in 60 hours by then. The place now has tumbleweeds blowing across the parking lot.

Millennials ruin everything.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:00 am

According to Onward State, Chuck and Neil Herlocher purchased the property over the summer. At the time, they said that both places would run as they had I the past. Word came out yesterday that they guys were now closing the establishments later this month or early next. This is news that was not received well buy the local customers, as you can imagine. The Brothers, apparently famous for some dipping mustard, released the following vague statement:

Herlochers Save Rathskeller Location From Wrecking Ball

In July 2017 our company Cornelius LLC concluded an investment in downtown State College with a plan to buy the Foster Building. While other investors intended to raze the property, we were steadfast in our commitment to preserve the historic nature and location of this landmark building.

When we took over the property we became aware that the operators of the All American Rathskeller and Spats had been operating without a lease since 2011 and paying well below market rates. Attempts to resolve the issue were unsuccessful. Our offer to purchase the businesses were also turned down.

We understand the concern many Penn Staters and State College natives have expressed. We want to assure you that as State College residents and Penn Staters we fully understand the historic importance of that location and memories made there across decades. We are committed to maintaining the character of the location that was founded in 1933 by Pop Flood as the Rathskeller and Gardens until 1934 when Doggie Alexander named it The All-American Rathskeller.

Our goal in the coming weeks and years is that Penn Staters past and present will walk into this location and find their memories of great times past still living there. The new tenants will be the latest in a long line of owners who have maintained the proud tradition of good times and good friends meeting in this downtown State College landmark.

Look for announcements soon from the new operators with their vision for this location.
Also we would like to alert current employees of the Rathskeller that the new operators are also interested in retaining staff.

Some say the bars will be saved, others are not so sure.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:32 am

Wow, the Rathskeller (or rat-cellar as some called it). The first bar I ever drank in legally... :cry:

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:41 pm

I was an occasional patron. My favorite was the Gaff. That said, it was as much a dump as the Skeller, and the Phyrst, if you get right down to it. End of the day, I feel very little nostalgia when thinking about bars. Part of that was because I worked at the Saloon when up at State.

Then again, my wife says I have no soul, so there you go.

:twisted:
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:18 pm

Anyone remember the Brick House? I was there the night it closed its doors forever. People starting pulling bricks out of the building as keepsakes and they had to close early because the structure became a little wobbly. Now, THAT was a true dump.

I loved the Skellar, though. We did the Gaff from time to time but I was a Skellar Rat through and through. The bouncers all knew us and we walked right in most nights. I think I hit the Phyrst a total of 3 times while I was at PSU. The Phyrst Family sing along thing didn't really do it for me.