2017 Team Thread

Blue&White

Re: 2017 Team Thread

Postby Blue&White » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:14 pm

I agree with Shore on this. There are guys who are looking and guys who are at their destination. We were always a transition point for O'Brien. The NFL was always his destination. I thought maybe he liked it at PSU enough that he would change his mind on that but he did not. For Franklin, my impression is this is a destination. He doesn't want to be anywhere else. I've never met him and I could be completely off on that, but my impression is that this was his pinnacle. His family is here in Bucks County, he's close to his roots, and I'd be genuinely surprised if he left us for another school. Especially Texas A&M. Who wants to go from being top in your market to being the weak sister to another program in the state? That would make zero sense.

We Are...2

Postby We Are...2 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:47 am

AP reports that he bought "cowboy boots" yesterday...and is looking at several Chaps today...

REAL STORY:
http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootba ... iver_index

WE ARE...
What the H... was that? Oh, Barkley!

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:42 pm

That was a very good answer to the rumor. Better than the normal lies.

He should show up at his next media event with the boots and hat. Or maybe the imposter can. :)

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:40 pm

PSU up to number two. I know these rankings are still early. And I know this doesn't necessarily feel like a number two team. And I know the next few weeks will tell us everything we need to know.

But. I want to take the moment to savor this. This program was dead not too long ago with little hope. Losing to teams like Temple and Indiana. Top 25 ranking seemed out of reach. And here we are. Perhaps with the media even overrating us! Unbelievable.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:37 am

Am I convinced that we are really the #2 team in the country? I'm not.

That said, as noted above, I'm going to enjoy this time regardless of how this year ends. We've had a bit of a rocky road over the last 10 years with what a reasonable person could conclude yielded more lows than highs. This team has been a ton of fun to watch over the last two years. CFB has it's ebbs and flows and we are definitely in a high cycle. Who knows how long it will last so let's kick back and enjoy the ride.

GO STATE!!! Beat the Wolverines!!!!!!

Sidenote: It's 7:37 a.m. . . . . . . and Michigan still sucks!!!!!!!!
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:27 pm

Kirk Herbstreit had some incredibly nice things to say about PSU on a podcast recently when he was talking to Barkley:

"As far back as I can go, when I meet a Penn State player, former player, or a current player, of all the schools out there that I've covered, the Penn State player is the most consistent," Herbstreit said.

"I have four boys that if they could grow up to be like you or grow up to be like a Jason Cabinda or Todd Blackledge or Bobby Engram or Ki-Jana Carter, you go down the list of Penn State players -- Curt Warner. You just go any decade you want to pick."

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:53 pm

Herbie is one of the few sports talking heads that I've actually looked forward to hearing over the years. I think the fact that the locals in Columbus made life there unlivable for his family some years back has helped him look more objectively at the CFB world than your typical ex-jock pundit/announcer. Also, I don't recall him taking unnecessary shots at PSU when the casket was nearly closed five years ago. I maybe wrong about that but I just don't remember, if he did. On the downside, he has begun talking way too much during games the past year or so - always a negative trait even if singing my team's praises. All in all, though, he's one of the best of this era.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:11 pm

I didn't feel like making a new thread for 2018 yet but next year on September 21st PSU will play at Illinois on a Friday night. Just not at all excited about that. All the BIG coaches hate it too but apparently the conference thinks it's a good idea.

tempe

Postby tempe » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:24 pm

I agree - it blows.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:49 pm

Somebody else noted the Herbstreit kudos to PSU but here it is https://www.landof10.com/penn-state/pen ... herbstreit

I am for the kind of program he describes as opposed to one of the perennial TOP 4 programs that recruits only to win and rarely educates. Yes, PSU has made its mistakes and yes our players have gotten in trouble at times. I apreciate that our players can speak and when they do it is about bigger things than themselves.
Last edited by Underlion on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.