Wrestling/Boxing vs Rutgers Sunday

Carl Spackler

Wrestling/Boxing vs Rutgers Sunday

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:09 pm

Anyone else watch the debacle of an alleged wrestling match at Rutgers Sunday afternoon?

They were beyond aggressive, dirty, cheap and unsportsmanlike.

Cael received a penalty for complaining about an injury that should never have happened if the ref would have done his job. Cael never does that so it must have been egregious. Cael is as calm as I've seen a wrestling coach while his counterparts run onto the mat all the time complaining and challenging the ref which is why this is so out of character and obviously shows a major problem on the mat had happened endangering a team member. Fortunately Jason Nolf may not be seriously injured as noted on Monday.

I saw more head slaps and punches from Rutgers "wrestlers" than I've seen in an entire season combined. They knew they were outclassed as wrestlers so they took the low road to stall the matches by punching our wrestlers faces/heads, several constantly. When one was penalized for this actions he immediately did it again and the ref did NOTHING.

Our injured wrestler may be able to return for the Big 10 conf. championships or the NCAA's. His injury wasn't necessarily due to dirty tactics but aggressive play and the ref was out of line for not stopping the match to reset them in a neutral position. A common ruling to avoid injury.

If this dirty play only occured with one Rutgers participant I'd consider it an aberration but it was apparent that it was a team tactic so the HC must have instilled it as the way to neutralize opponents and show the Rutgers attitude.

tempe

Re: Wrestling/Boxing vs Rutgers Sunday

Postby tempe » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:53 pm

Thanks for the post. I do not have cable TV but loved watching as an ex-wrestler.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:26 am

I read a recap from NJ news source - they were heaping praise on RU - certainly didn't highlight some of the dirty play aspects Carl noted. It's been said before but Sanderson's accomplishments as a wrestler and now as coach are nothing short of astonishing. I'm not as deep in wrestling lore as others but does Sanderson potentially project to top Dan Gable as the GOAT in the sport?
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:31 am

I should have posted a "bout by bout" detail but wasn't thinking along that line when originally posting. Yes, the Jersey attitude you read in that article Tempe probably described their take on things.

Bo Nickal tweeted that he came to wrestle, not fight or something along that line. HIs and Zain's matches were the worst for the slapping, hitting thing as I remember. Their HWT couldn't get out of his own way and they had one or two other sacrificial lambs in the line up. It was obvious their was a plan in place for several matches. Too bad you were not able to see it.

A note on Jason Nolf. Cael said that the injury was not at bad as it appeared on TV. He could be back for the tournament season but likely not any dual meets. That surprised me and I hope it isn't wishful thinking like Suriano's situation was last year.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:12 pm

I don't think a coach/program that promotes or accepts that 'strategy' helps his recruiting. "Have fun, score points, family" recruits better than "do whatever it takes even if it embarrasses you and the program".

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:45 pm

Recently viewed a list of our incoming wrestling recruits. We are loaded. OSU is too so it is going to be a battle for a long time in the future. This will be a great rivalry that is developing from our football success. Rutgers will stand along the sidelines and drool, in both sports.

There appears to be a parallel with football and wrestling regarding recruiting a certain quality student athlete. I've noticed it for several years. A humility but confidence exudes from some more than others but it appears to be the focus of recruiting and is a success. Looking forward to future success in both programs.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:50 pm

Rutgers will stand along the sidelines and drool, in both sports.

You mean in all sports. Rutgers won the first ever played college football game against Princeton back in 1869 and that was pretty much the school's athletic peak.
Hire Alex Cora