Barkley

PittGradPSUMad

Re: Barkley

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:19 am

Barkley's running lanes were as clogged as I-95 going through Connecticut. Can't fault him for getting stuffed when he's being swarmed under by a stifling D. Reminded me of what he faced last year with our O-line. Giants O-line needs to do a better job and Barkley will do the rest.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

psuro

Postby psuro » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:28 am

His TD run was reminiscent of his TD run against Purdue in 2016. Middle was blocked, so he side stepped to outside - faster than anyone else - and then outran everyone up the sideline to the end zone.

Vintage Barkley.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:14 am

... he looked very average most of the game.

That may be the type of RB he will be. He's not Marshawn Lynch. He's not going to run over people and gain 4 yards on every carry. For him, It could be nibble, nibble, nibble ... BOOM ... and then suddenly the DBs are trying to catch him downfield.

Barry Sanders got into the HOF doing that.
Klaatu barada nikto

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:28 am

Not to continue to rub it in Pitt's face, but...

Penn State = Saquon Barkley
Pitt = Nate Peterman
41-33.

Shane

Postby Shane » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:37 am

[quote="Crowbar"]Not to continue to rub it in Pitt's face, but...

/quote]
They'll be hard to find until they come out of the woodwork again next September acting like they care about college football.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:58 am

Barry Sanders got into the HOF doing that.

Funny enough, I made a "Barry Sanders" comment to my friend during the game and he looked at me like I had 3 heads or something. I said I wasn't comparing him to Sanders after not even a full NFL game under his belt, just that he reminded me of Sanders where it goes nothing ... nothing ... nothing ... boom!
Is it baseball season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:43 pm

Watched the game and it was an uneven debut - unfortunately there were several plays Barkley came up and inch or two short going for first downs or on 2 point conversions. For a pro debut against a top D it was OK.

If he is going to break out Eli needs to sharpen up - he missed some open deep shots that will force safeties away from LOS and the offensive line needs to improve. The rookie Hernandez struggled, Flowers got abused and OL penalties cost them a lot of yardage and was constantly putting them in bad down and distance situations. Despite the struggles they were in position at end of the game to win against a very good team.

Look forward to seeing the Saquon vs Zeke showdown next Sunday night.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:15 pm

Twenty years ago, BC had a RB named William Green who was a little like Barkley. About the same size and fast. Real fast. And like Barkley, when he was able to break into the backfield, catching him was a chore. I had season tickets back then and I don't recall a single home game where he didn't bust at least one long run. You could contain him for stretches and then ... BOOM. In 2 years as a starter, he rushed for over 2,700 yards and had 32 TDs. First round draft pick.

But that's where the comparison ends. Green's personal demons derailed his pro career, whereas Barkley seems to have his act together.
Klaatu barada nikto