Barkley

sameoldlama

Re: Barkley

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:02 am

As the chess game goes - per previous post I think Cleveland goes QB #1 based on risk of getting their potential "3rd" choice if they go Barkley #1.

Assume Cleveland goes QB at #1. I see the Giants with 4 options

1. Take a QB
2. Take Barkley
3. Take Chubb
4. Trade down to Broncos at #5 (who want to jump Jets for QB) and get Barkley or Chubb at #5 (assuming Cleveland takes one of those two at #4)

So it comes down to:
1. Barkley / Chubb are probably lower risk picks than the QBs
2. Barkley / Chubb make your team better Day 1 - the QB may take a few years - and for a coach in modern day NFL winning now is important - unless you're Cleveland

So it comes down to how much you value Barkley vs Chubb vs trading down and picking up an additional asset. If one of those two is "your guy" you take him at #2. If you are equally satisfied with either one you try and work a deal with Broncos.

If I am a GM / coach and my team's biggest issue was scoring points I'm leaning toward the guy who busted every PSU offensive record in 3 years in spite of facts teams designed Ds to stop him specifically and he ran behind an average OL most of his career.

#26 to NYG
#26 to NYG
#26 to NYG
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:17 am

4. Trade down to Broncos at #5 (who want to jump Jets for QB) and get Barkley or Chubb at #5 (assuming Cleveland takes one of those two at #4)

I've read some speculation that the Broncos may take Barkley if he is available. But, not sure they would pay the price the Giants would want to pick a running back. That's a lot of picks they will lose. Only way I can see them jumping the Jets and paying the price is for a QB. But, I think if they want to do that, the Giants will play ball and take their chances at #5. They may figure they are just as well off with either Chubb or Barkley. In fact, thinking about it, I think that is the most likely move for the Giants. The question is - would Denver play ball. If they will, I think the Giants do that.

But, that depends on what Cleveland does, doesn't it?

Part of me thinks the Giants are psyching out the Browns to take Barkley with the 1st pick so they can get the best QB they have on the board.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:03 am

FWIW - wild guess landing spots for other PSUs guys likely to get drafted / FA

Gesicki - Ravens, Dolphins, 49ers
Hamilton - Jags, Redskins, Bills
Allen - Chiefs, Steelers, Seahawks
Cabinda - Jets, Eagles, Titans
Campbell - Bucs, Packers, Bengals
Apke- Patriots, Chargers, Saints
Cotheren 1 & 2 - Panthers, Giants, Cardinals

These are complete out my butt guesses but this should be the most interesting draft for Penn Staters in years.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:43 am

I would love the Eagles to get Allen. Jenkins is under contract a few more year plus he is 30 years old. Allen could come in and learn from the best! I think Allen is going to have a solid career. We know he can hit, he just needs to learn to cover a bit better

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:49 am

They were talking about the draft on WFAN over the weekend and someone I never heard of was speculating that Gieseki could be a day 1 pick. I doubt it, but I think he's gone by the 2nd day.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:54 am

If I am Cleveland I would debate swapping with the Giants at 2 so I could get Darnold and Barklay. They would be set for years! They will have to give up some pics but they have a lot of picks.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:55 am

These are all of their picks this year:
1st Round: No. 1 overall
1st Round: No. 4 overall
2nd Round: No. 33 overall (1st in round)
2nd Round: No. 35 overall (3rd in round)
2nd Round: No. 64 overall (32nd in round)
3rd Round: No. 65 overall (1st in round)
4th Round: No. 101 overall (1st in round)
4th Round: No. 123 overall (23rd in round)
5th Round: No. 138 overall (1st in round)
5th Round: No. 159 overall (22nd in round)
6th Round: No. 175 overall (1st in round)
7th Round: No. 219 overall (1st in round)

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:13 pm

If I'm the Giants, I want 4, 33, 35, 65 & 101 in return for 2.

That assures of Chubb, plus 4 more picks to add to the 6 they have. I would accept that as a reasonable trade. Anything less, I say no and draft Saquon.

But that's not going to happen. Cleveland is going to take Darnold and the Giants will take Barkley.

(as an aside: I still think Rosen's the best of the QB bunch, and most likely to have a steller career. fwiw)
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:24 pm

Since 2007 the Browns have taken a QB in the first round 3 times. And not one of those QBs gave them any success. The biggest return they got on any of them was Brandon Weeden, who started a total of 20 games for Cleveland.

What are the odds that they blow this pick? They should take Barkley with the 1st pick because they clearly suck at QB evaluation. They should go with the George Costanza "opposite" approach to the draft because every instinct they ever had was wrong.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:38 pm

LOL - Costanza reference.

I truly believe Barkley is the best player available in this draft. By that token, if a team's philosophy in the draft is to take the best player available, especially in the 1st round, then that's what you gotta do. That said, the theory applies to the Browns as well - they may very well pick Barkley first. Of course, they just signed Hyde from SF, so you never know.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.