2018 Preseason Thread

pennstate92

Re: 2018 Preseason Thread

Postby pennstate92 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:24 am

Shore Lion wrote:
Blue&White wrote:Are you sure that eligibility includes bowl games?

Yes I am. I read it on the internet.

:lol:
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Shane

Postby Shane » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:28 am

Freshman OL Nana Asiedu has to give up football due to a heart condition. He was a big recruit when he verballed and probably a big reason they just signed Devyn Ford. Good luck to him, but sounds like a good thing they found it out now.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:12 am

I recall when a PSU recruit suffered a serious neck injury body surfing down the shore just before he was due to enroll at PSU - and Paterno said he would still honor schollie even though the kid would never play. The NCAA should permit PSU to honor the scholarship without it counting against roster if they want to show they care about student - athletes.

Sad that Joe Paterno has been lost forever to the Sandusky scandal. Speaking of which - Spanier lost his appeal - and naturally is vowing to appeal further. Sorry but in my opinion Spanier is a real POS - he's collected over $3MM in salary and benefits as part of separation agreement - run up tons of legal bills in the University (and sued for more money) and now thinks a two month sentence is worth more legal wrangling. Two months - the guy got off easy in addition to the financial windfall he received - and we think politicians have some chutzpah.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:22 am

I think the scholarship thing is on a school by school basis. Meaning if they can find some other way to fund the student's education it doesn't count against the team numbers.

Shane

Postby Shane » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:04 pm

There is a medical waiver of some kind that kicks in with this. I did see that he will be on full scholarship but that it wont be counted against the total allowed of 85.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:27 pm

Thanks for the info Shane. I thought it counted against the team total and they ate it for four years. Great news and it wonderful this was discovered now instead of at a practice with Nana prostrate on the turf after a practice. I've heard about so many others that died on the field or right after practice and they have no recourse at that point. Wonder if the athletes should be screened for this issue since it seems to happen regularly around the nation from high school to college athletes.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:10 pm

I've been reading more about this. PSU pulled him aside and gave him his physical when Asiedu was on campus for the Blue White Game. Obviously it's more in-depth than your typical high school physical. Apparently as the doctors studied test results they discovered there was an issue and looked deeper and unfortunately what they found was life threatening. But according to the article I read Franklin and the medical staff took a plane to visit the player and his family and delivered the news in person and Franklin assured them that he would have a scholarship and that he would see to it that Asiedu graduated. To go to those lengths to deal with this says a lot about how Franklin views these players, the program and the school. Well done Coach!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:34 pm

That's a bad situation but sounds like the best possible outcome. Very please to read about how Franklin handled the whole thing and stood by the kid. It almost makes the numberous HIPPA violations I identified forgivable.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:42 pm

I thought that too! Like telling his HS coach before the kid. WTF?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:51 pm

Those doctors certainly have some 'splainin to do.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?