2018 Preseason Thread

Carl Spackler

Re: 2018 Preseason Thread

Postby Carl Spackler » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:40 am

Tagging onto Shane's comment, I predicted that our football team would not be competitive until at least 2018 at the time. Given the reduction of sanctions on reduced scholarships, I suppose that date could have been adjusted to an early time but given the situation, I doubt I'd have changed my prediction. To consider what the team has accomplished is remarkable given the shaming, sanctions and negative recruiting by other schools. I've read that LJ is reverse negative recruiting, now against PSU, at Theeeeeeee OSU. The handicaps and hardships kept increasing.

The obstacles this team has faced and overcome are astounding. Taking 45 scholarship players to Wisconsin back in 14 or 13 or whenever and winning set the tone. Defiant, stubborn, willful winners. Not to have a losing record in one year much less multiple years, another remarkable event.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

psudelco

Postby psudelco » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:59 pm

Manny Bowen is back with the team. Not sure what his transgressions were but he's on the roster saw it on BSD can't get link to work

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:46 pm

That is an interesting event delco, thanks for posting. We sure could use Manny if he can discipline himself and mature into a wise leader given his 2nd chance.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

tempe

Postby tempe » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:08 am

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:21 am

Let's talk about actual football stuff. What do you all think about the new kickoff rules? If you don't know, now if a player fair catches a kickoff anywhere inside the 25 yard line it just automatically becomes a touchback and the possession starts on the 25 yard line. Remember several years ago they moved up where the ball was kicked from in order to allow more kickers to kick the ball into the end zone. That's also when the changed the touchback coming out to the 25 instead of the 20. But coaches adapted by having kickers kick higher but short of the end zone in order to try and pin the returner deep. This will eliminate that. Assuming a lot of coaches will be happy with starting at the 25. It will be interesting to see how strategy evolves on this. But I do see kickoff returns becoming less and less impactful as time goes on. I think you may see more kickers power kicking the ball along the ground in the hopes that it goes inside the 25. That obviously can't be caught so that could be a way to still pin a team deep(er).

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:09 am

Wait. Since when can you fair catch on a kick off? I assume you mean punts, and not kick offs. And, If it reduces injuries, then I'm all for it. I think these kids are seriously taken advantage of, so anything that makes the game safer for them I am all for.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:40 am

No. I mean kickoffs. And you could always fair catch a kickoff, it's just that nobody did. Well sometimes an "up" man would do it on a real short kick.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:00 pm

I don't like the idea of the ball getting placed on the 25 if you fair catch it. To me, while I get the safety aspect they are probably considering, you play the ball where you caught it.

It will be interesting to see if your prediction is right and they worm burn kickoffs. The big risk is that the ball takes a funny hop and ends up out of bounds; but if it gets inside the 10, it might be worth the risk. Not to mention that picking up a ball with big old boys closing in on you might not be the easiest task either and could lead to some interesting situations.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:04 pm

Shore Lion wrote:No. I mean kickoffs. And you could always fair catch a kickoff, it's just that nobody did. Well sometimes an "up" man would do it on a real short kick.

Since when? A kick off is a live ball. I've never heard of a kick off having a "fair catch".

Lion - if you take it from where you fair catch it, then people will figure they are better off running with it and you don't reduce the injury risk, which is clearly the point of this change.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:14 pm

I understand the point of the change. I just don't like it. This isn't a game of tiddly winks, it has big, fast young men colliding with each other; it is going to cause pain and injury from time to time.