2018 Preseason Thread

Shore Lion

Re: 2018 Preseason Thread

Postby Shore Lion » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:37 pm

Franklin had his first game week press conference today. The big thing I took away from it is that we'll see 3 different kickers on Saturday. Gillikin is still punting but kickoffs will be handled by Rafael Checa (a walk on) while Jake Pinegar will be the field goal guy. He said the team is pretty healthy with the exceptions of those we've already heard about. He also said they've identified 6 freshmen that will definitely play the whole season. More will play in the 4 games they're allowed to but how they perform will determine if they are "green-lighted" for the entire season.

Shane

Postby Shane » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:02 pm

If the depth chart is to be believed, KJ Hamler has beaten out Brandon Polk for the starting spot at the 3rd WR. I think that's a bit of a surprise, but I also know that depth charts aren't worth the paper they're printed on most of the time.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:10 pm

I don't know, Hamler got a lot of rave reviews last year in practice too so maybe he's just that good. But PSU plays a lot of receivers so both will see plenty of time. Sometimes I think "starter" is a bit overrated. I mean with the various package on both offense and defense teams use now it doesn't necessarily mean that a guy who comes in after the first play doesn't actually get a lot more snaps.

Shane

Postby Shane » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:19 pm

Also, Tommy Stevens is listed on the depth chart but Shane Simmons is not, so don't expect to see Simmons this weekend.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:24 pm

Pinegar definitely a "wild card" on the season - usually a couple games a year hinge of FG kicking and the reliability of your FG kicker also impacts play calling in red zone. KOs can be a big field position things which PSU has been string in last two years. Definitely a thing to watch first four games.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall