Politics

LioninVa

Re: Politics

Postby LioninVa » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:54 am

I saw that report, Nat, and that Chief Justice Roberts sat on roughly a dozen misconduct complaints that were considered potentially having merit. Great bunch we have up there.
I believe it is difficult to prove perjury, as it could be argued the party was simply mistaken and not intentionally misleading, but I am no law expert. I do believe Kavanaugh lies about his role in the Bush White House and then again either on his FOXNews interview or his session to the Judicial Council later that week.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:42 pm

I wouldn't stress over whether or not perjury can be proven because there is close to zero chance it's ever going to come up again. The Democrats, even if they thought they could be successful, don't have the sack to pursue impeachment against Kavanaugh. I doubt they would pursue it against Trump.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:28 pm

Taylor Swift's call for her followers to vote leads to spike of more than 100,000 registrations

I'm trying to figure out how this works, exactly. Are people actually ambivlent about this but suddenly, because Taylor Swift writes something on her Instagram account those some people are like "oh, shit! Taylor Swift took a stand. I have to get in on this election!".

I am really hoping that this is a case of correlation and not causation because the alternative is very troubling. But, on the plus side, I am a big fan of people registering to vote and then showing up and actually voting. But, I'd be lying if I said it didn't concern me that there is a high probability that people's votes will be more influenced by what Taylor Swift told them vs. doing any actual research on the candidates and issues. It is what it is, I guess.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:42 pm

Like you say, they may be registered to vote. Now, whether they vote is a whole different matter.

My guess is most of them won't. We'll be lucky if they even know when Election Day is.
41-33.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:42 pm

I think it is a case of correlation over causation. Today is the deadline to register in 18 states. That seems more likely to link to the spike in registrations than Taylor Swift.

But we are in a country that elected and still seems to support a useless orange trash-bag full of human excrement . . . . so who knows!?!
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:15 am

Since every news story either uses celebrity tweets as a primary source to validate their story or just flat out uses it as the lead headline I wouldn't underestimate the celeb factor.

I don't begrudge any celeb the fortune or fame they acquire - they chose a field and had success they certainly deserve whatever reward that brings but I could do without their apparent belief that talent in entertainment fields imbues you with incredible moral, ethical and socio economic wisdom. Quite frankly it seems to have an inverse relationship.

And I suspect Trump continues to enjoy support because the his loudest detractors in the opposition party / media / or throwing temper tantrums in the street make a useless orange bag full of human excrement look like a bouquet of flowers by comparison.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:52 pm

sameoldlama wrote:
I don't begrudge any celeb the fortune or fame they acquire - they chose a field and had success they certainly deserve whatever reward that brings but I could do without their apparent belief that talent in entertainment fields imbues you with incredible moral, ethical and socio economic wisdom. Quite frankly it seems to have an inverse relationship.

This seems particularly ironic in the context of Trump's Presidential run.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:11 pm

Kind of.

At least DJT built a real estate empire on his way to celebrity status. Though he has plenty of faults he at least has a little knowledge of how things work. Most celebrities come off as true airheads to me, political or not.

As far as Taylor Swift goes, she may have gotten 100,000 more people to vote, but she couldn't save the AMAs. Praise Jesus.

https://www.thewrap.com/taylor-swift-am ... w-ratings/
41-33.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:17 pm

Rose McGowen on the emptiness of celebrities.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... 1560106002
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:45 pm

Seems the Saudis are getting ready to admit that they actually did kill Jamal Khashoggi. Sort of. Looks like they are going to disavow the people who did it, say it was unsanctioned, etc. The usual whitewashing that happens when something like this becomes public and you have to cut bait.

I call bullshit on whatever the Saudis say. Apparently the Turks were on top of the guys who did this the moment they showed up in their country. There was a WaPo article the other day that said US intelligence services had intercepted communications from the Saudis where this was being planned (and, of course, no one bothered to warn the guy despite there is a legal duty to do so under US law). But, the idea that these guys just went rogue is obviously BS.

It doesn't matter. Trump basically signaled this morning that he is willing to accept that explanation so this will be the end of it. For him, at least, and I suppose for the US. For Khashoggi's family and fiance it is only just beginning. The Saudis will punish some guys who did what they were told and everyone will pretend it was all just a big misunderstanding and not the murder of a journalist who wrote unflattering stories about his home country's government - which is what it was.