Random Thoughts Again

psu_dad

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby psu_dad » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:57 pm

So, you cut a deal that serves no purpose other than to say "we got another check in the 'win' column" because, technically, the kid plead guilty.

But if that was the motivation of the DA who offered this deal, then she has to be the most politically naive person on the planet. How could she not anticipate the Shit Storm of Protest that this would invoke? She scored this expedient "win" to advance her career? Really?
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:41 pm

Maybe not so much advance her career as not hurt it. You go to trial and you lose, that's a strike against you. You lose too many cases you won't be employed for very long. DA's like to have prosecturos that win. My guess is they are subtley encouraged not to joust at windmills and take moral stands. Often times that may be the right strategy. But, when you get so rigid about it that you just do the wrong thing - which is what I suspect happened here - you get screwed up decisions like this one.

As for the idea that this would invoke a predictable shit-storm of protest - sure, it's obvious now that it happened. But, this is one case in one small jurisidcation. Prosecutors make decisions like this all the time and the larger world never, ever hear of it. Why this one blew up when others do not is something I cannot answer.

Remember 10 or so years ago when that guy in California - I think his name was Scott Peterson - killed his pregnant wife? It was this major national story at the time. When it was all said and done, I remember reading about another pregnant woman who was missing and turned out to be killed by her husband during the same period, and no one said "boo" about it. Why was one national news and the other was completely overlooked? I have no idea. Just recently I caught a story about some woman out in Colorado who vanished Thanksgiving and they have no clue where she is. They have gotten some pings from her cell phone but nothing recent and no one knows what happened to her. But, people vanish in this country all the time. Why is this story getting headlines? Again, I have no idea.

Maybe the answer is that both Scott Peterson's wife and this woman in Colorado are young, attractive (white) women. Maybe the Baylor story is getting so much attention because her statement got picked up. I have no idea. But, things like this happen all the time. It just seems like it was an obviously stupid decision to not anticipate the shit-storm because we know about this one. How many don't we know about? The story where my friend's daughter was told by the ER doctor and investigating cops it was her fault she was drugged and raped went completely unreported.
Baseball season!!!!

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Here's my random thought for the day.

The Philadelphia Flyers are an absolute dumpster fire and can't get out of their own way. Jeebus, they have been living off their two pre-disco Stanley Cups for the last 45 years.

What a sad lot. :x
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:19 pm

could be worse, Crow. You could be an Islanders fan.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:20 am

Hey, Isles are still better than Rangers and Devils... most qualify that as a successful year.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:27 am

Crowbar wrote:Here's my random thought for the day.

The Philadelphia Flyers are an absolute dumpster fire and can't get out of their own way. Jeebus, they have been living off their two pre-disco Stanley Cups for the last 45 years.

What a sad lot. :x

Switch to the Sixers. They are so much fun to watch. Ben Simmons makes some crazy passes!! Fultz is an absolute disaster. I would give him a few months and then trade him

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:30 pm

Baseball season!!!!

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:57 pm

Indeed. Happy New Year folks.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:00 pm

Daryl "Captain" Dragon dead at 76. There goes dad's childhood.

Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:43 pm

Baby Boomers don't get enough credit for their toughness. If I locked you in a room and piped in that music, you'd confess to the Lindbergh kidnapping inside of 15 minutes.
Fire Alex Cora