Former Players Thread

Blue&White

Re: Former Players Thread

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:20 am

We argue about income inequality and gaming a system - this is the unfair game - the NFL and colleges have rigged the system to allow them to exploit athletes - get a fair system that provides them fair market value for their talent.

Preach it, brother.

Hey, I was on board with this from the get-go. I think I was one of the few people on this forum - back before it was like 12 people - who was on Maurice Clarett's side in his law suit.
Baseball season!!!!

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:40 am

That was a great post, lama.

B-Dub, I recall you siding with Clarrett back when that was going on. I agree that the NCAA takes advantage of these athletes and is, in all reality, a minor league feeder for the NFL. However, and this is just my opinion, i don’t have an issue with the three season rule for the NFL simply based on physical and mental maturity. By, I also thought the automatic red shirt was a good idea. That, in now way, means that I think the players shouldn’t be compensated.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:15 pm

I'm actually against turning college football into a professional league. I am ok with some fixed stipend amount for all players, but it should be low and should not allow for bidding wars for players. Every player should get the same amount. I'm also with Lama that they should be allowed to profit off their image. The idea that the schools can sell jerseys with the players number and name but the players can't make money off of that which is most uniquely theirs is ridiculous. If someone wants to pay Johnny Manzel for his autograph, he should be allowed to sell it.

With respect to your position ont he 3 year rule - let the market sort that out. Most players won't be ready to play in the NFL early. Most kids don't leave until their senior year. But, the idea that you can be a marine running onto a beach into live fire at age 18 but you can't made a choice to try to play pro football is, in my mind, ridiculous. Most kids won't be ready but if a kid wants to try then let him try.
Baseball season!!!!

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:28 pm

I don’t have an issue with anything you just posted. I do think that, if an 18 - 20 year old goes down that road and flames out, they should be allowed to return to a college team. I don’t know how the legalities would work, but it can’t be that hard.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:53 pm

I think it would depend on how far down the path you got. I think the first time you cash an NFL paycheck you are ineligible to ever play for a college team. And, I'm ok with that.
Baseball season!!!!

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:31 pm

I am not as ok, when you make it that cut and dried. Of course, I don’t know how the pay works since they have off season camps and practices. I don’t care if someone got paid while trying to make a pro team. If they get cut before the season starts, they should be allowed back. Of course, this is a moot point on so many levels that it probably doesn’t really matter.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:48 pm

I think you can quibble with how it works. But, I think the minute you go into an NFL camp and collect an NFL pay check, even if you are cut 2 weeks later, you are no longer an amateur. And, you lose your college eligibility. This is hypothetical, obviously, but I think it's going to be a really hard sell to the powers-that-be that you can collect a check - even one check - and still play college ball.

Given that the current rule is once you declare for the draft, even if you are not drafted, you have lost your eligibility, I'd consider what I am proposing a vast improvement. But, in honesty, if the rule was changed so you can declare the minute you turn 18, but once you declare you forfeit your college eligibility, I think that's ok. Make the rules however you want to dissaude kids with no chance of throwing their hat into the ring. My objection is the faux paternalism that is put in place solely to protect NCAA revenues and the NFL free minor league system. That system is probably going to continue becuase most kids coming out of high school are just not physically ready to play in the NFL. That's just a fact. But, there are some who are. And, those kids should have the right to use their skills to earn a living. And, if they take a chance and fail and ruing their eligibility - you pays your money and you takes your chances.
Baseball season!!!!

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:26 pm

I agree with you regarding the pretense of protecting NCAA. MLB and NHL teams draft kids out of high school (I realize they have minor leagues) but those kids are allowed to still play in college. I know it’s different, but mainly because NCAA football wants it to be.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:43 am

Saw a special on NFL network for the making of the SB "NFL 100" commercial - worth a watch - Franco is about to turn 69 and seems in great shape - they did several takes of him doing the miracle catch and he nailed them all - no stunt double, no drops. And Saquon was Saquon - showing athletic ability no one could believe.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall