Epilogue to the 2018 Penn State Season

Blue&White

Re: Epilogue to the 2018 Penn State Season

Postby Blue&White » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:16 am

Sounds like there was a fight at one of the fraternity houses last weekend and some players may have been involved. Four people were hurt and ended up in the hospital but it sounds like the injuries were all pretty minor. Not clear who was involved yet.

Seems this happens every few years. We had the infamous RJ Luke "we're football, let us in" fight back in 2000 or 2001. And, then there was the apartment brawl after some guy didn't like Anthony Scirrotto trying to pick up his girlfriend in 2008. That was was egregiously stupid because Scirrotto followed the guy back to his place, called a bunch of his teammates, and then they tried to force themselves in and a melee ensued. They were lucky they got away with a scrap on the wrist. And, now there is whatever may have happened here.

Hard to believe that apartment fight was almost 11 years ago. Have we had a real player incident since then?
Baseball season!!!!

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:32 am

Joe Lorig hired as ST coach.

AD Sandy Barbour received contract extension
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:46 pm

Cam Sullivan-Brown has withdrawn his name from the transfer portal. So, that's good news.
Baseball season!!!!

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:42 pm

Not sure if it has been posted but Johnson transferred to Oregon

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:58 pm

sameoldlama wrote:Not sure if it has been posted but Johnson transferred to Oregon

I'm sure he'll do great dropping passes in Eugene.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:36 pm

BWI had a feature on WR drop rates last year - to no one's here's surprise PSU's was among worst in nation and about double teams like OSU, Bama, Clemson - JJ, Polk, Thompkins, Hippenhaimer had rates above average and 3-4X rate of other top teams front line guys.

Hence 1st year WR coach not being the current 2nd year receiving coach. They killed McS.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:23 pm

Thompkins ran a 4.33 - 40 at the pro day. Several other guys had great 40 times - was mostly guys who didn't do combine running for time. Hopefully some of these guys get a FA look but it seems PSU does a really good job prepping guys to show out on for these events.

As an aside - Saquon went back to campus to support his former teammates - and where did the freshly minted millionaire / ROY stay - he slept on Koa Farmer's couch. Awesome to see the team has that kind of bond.

Shane

Postby Shane » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:54 pm

Not quite sure where to put this, but Tommy Stevens has just entered his name in the transfer portal. Insider on another board claims it is due to the fact that Franklin will not guarantee him the starting QB spot. Not really sure what to make of this, or if he will stay at PSU in the end?

ShoreLion

Postby ShoreLion » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:32 am

I know there aren't many of us on here anymore but you'd think a post about the probably starting QB transferring wouldn't have a single reply in 18 hours. Anyway, I can't say I'm totally surprised. Stevens has not been able to stay healthy. I think Franklin WANTED to name Stevens the starter but he couldn't really practice during the spring so he missed a lot of reps. Unfortunately the kid has a bit of a problem staying healthy. And Stevens is really still all about potential at this point because he hasn't really performed in a game as a QB. So without him being able to practice this spring Franklin still really doesn't know what he has and was reluctant to name a starter. If he goes I hope he gets healthy and plays well for somebody. If he stays I also hope he gets healthy and plays well for PSU. While somewhat inexperienced there is certainly talent in the QB room and Clifford did get some game time last year. Trace hadn't played much at all either when he was named the starter and things worked out ok.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:29 am

I saw this yesterday. What I read was he did not get the majority of snaps with the starting team and the writing seems to be on the wall that he's not goign to be the QB going into the season. So, he wants to try his luck elsewhere. I didn't read that the problem was due to injury, but maybe it was. My impression was he didn't get as many reps because he didn't look as good.

It's always tough when you have multiple good options but only one spot. I have no strong opinion on who the next QB should be because I've not seen enough of either of them to have an informed opinion. I'm happy to trust the people who are paid to make the decision to evaluate the talent and decide who gets the nod. The only thing I will say is I'm glad that Franklin is not afraid to give the job to an underclassman who he feels earned it. I would have been ok if Stevens was looking to be the starter, but I'm not unhappy that Franklin is willing to do this. Joe struggled some with this at times later in his tenure.

Whatever Stevens does, I wish him the best of luck. I hope he gets a chance to go somewhere he can start and I hope he's a big success.
Baseball season!!!!