2019 Baseball Season

psu_dad

Re: 2019 Baseball Season

Postby psu_dad » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:11 pm

... after watching the bullshit the umpire pulled last night I'm starting to warm to it.

That's another reason I'm for it. I've had it with the "how DARE you question me?" attitude of the umps behind the plate.

Rule 9.02(a): Players leaving their position in the field or on base, or managers or coaches leaving the bench or coaches box, to argue on BALLS AND STRIKES will not be permitted. They should be warned if they start for the plate to protest the call. If they continue, they will be ejected from the game.

This is yet another example where MLB implements a rule and then screws it up by allowing the umpires to interpret it as they wish. The purpose of the rule was to avoid delays in the game due to ball/strike arguments. It wasn't intended to allow umpires to cop an attitude whenever their judgment was questioned. But that's how the rule is used.
Fire Alex Cora

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:26 am

psu_dad wrote:I'm against replacing the umpires with computers.

He wouldn't be totally replaced. He'd still be behind the plate calling foul tips, check swings, balks and tags at home, as necessary. Only the ball/strike calls would be automated.

I cannot understand for the life of me why this is not happening. Merica has something that will be consistent and not stray to change the outcome in a game. I have said this before, imagine the suspense in a game where the big screen shows a ball and strike. Everyone wins!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:34 am

What suspense? It would be instantaneous, probably faster than the umpires call it today.

As for why it's not happening already, it's for a few reasons including tradition and that the umpires have a union who are not agreeing to this without a fight.
Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:07 pm

If it doesn't involved a pay cut, what would the umpire's union complain about? That they're being asked to do less work for the same salary? Is that a complaint the National Labor Relations Board would take seriously?
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:36 pm

Right, because the long term plan will be to only automate some of their job and baseball will swear up and down they have no interest in ever getting to the point of not having to pay humans, or reducing the number of humans, required to officiate a game. I don't get why a union wouldn't just embrace that plan.

I've obviously never spoken to the umpires union about this, but I cannot imagine any representative organization of any labor pool ever willingly agreeing to any reduction in human effort in place of automation ever. I think it's going to happen regardless but not with the umpires blessing. How long they can actually hold it off remains to be seen, but it won't be very long. Labor just doesn't have the muscle it once had.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:44 pm

I don't see how this reduces the number of humans involved. You still need someone behind the plate.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:50 pm

For just balls and strikes, sure. But once you start adding automation in one are you will see a push for it all over. Kicking and screaming will umpires relinquish any part of their job to computers. And, for the same reason everyone is kicking and screaming about it.

The CEO of IBM recently said that within just over a decade AI will be able to do the vast majority of jobs that currently exist. She believes that new jobs will come to replace the jobs being made obsolete. Perhaps, but I'm not convinced that job creation will keep pace with job elimination. And, there is no way I'm inviting AI into start easing me out. Any labor union is going to see it that exact way. They would be insane not to

I don't think they can stop it, but the umpires are going to fight it as long as they can. That is the only thing I'm sure of.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:52 pm

Apparently all Chris Davis needed to get on track was to face the Red Sox.

Go figure.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:03 am

Well, that opener for the Mets-Phillies was an ugly one with Syndergaard and Nola both getting pounded on a cold night. I fell asleep after the Phillies tied it up in the 8th and woke up to see the Mets pulled it out in the 11th. All I can say is watching Harper choke twice in situations when he could have broken the game over for the Phillies is the kind of thing I can enjoy all season.

As a secondary point, the Phillies play some really awful defense. Aside from having problems fielding the ball, they lack fundamentals. Not hitting the cut off man, not knowing where to throw the ball, and even not knowing how many men are on base. Herrera almost was thrown out at 3rd after the Mets walked a batter because he thought the bases were loaded. Maybe it was fatigue but the Phillies made a lot of mental errors. Physical errors happen but there is no excuse for mental lapses, much less multiple mental lapses.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:49 am

Oh, one other thing: the game ended when Mets closer Edwin Diaz struck out Harper, Hoskins and Realmuto on 11 total pitches. Some salt for Grower's wound.

8-)

In other news: remember when the Mets traded for Robinson Cano and agreed to pay him $100M over the next 5 years and I absolutely hated it? Well, having had roughly 3 weeks of baseball to watch Cano and reflect more on that trade -- I still hate it. He is awful. He has no range and is not hitting. But, at least he gets 20-f*cking-million a year for the next 5 years. The only thing that makes that trade remotely palatable is Diaz. He is everything they said he was. But, man, Cano is an anchor on that team. Hopefully when the weather warms so does his bat. I think his glove, unfortunately, is as good as it's going to get, though.