Movies

Blue&White

Re: Movies

Postby Blue&White » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:51 am

I did Disney on ice years ago when my kids were little and had a similar reaction. They really do a great job.
Is it football season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:17 am

We should change this thread title to something like "Movies, TV shows and general entertainment".

Anyway, I have a tv show recommendation. My wife and I started watching Ozark on Netflix. Some friends recommended it and we started watching it yesterday. It's similar to Breaking Bad in how it's done and the story line is a little bit similar. It stars Jason Bateman and Laura Linney, both of whom are great in the show. I don't want to say too much about it as I don't want to ruin anythign for anyone. The first episode I had zero idea what it was about so the whole thing was a surprise to me. But, so far it's been great.

The only warning I'll vie is that while it's not continually violent, there is violence in it. And, the 1st episode has a lot of violence. If that's not your thing, be warned. But, otherwise it's just a great show.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:33 am

A friend and I went to see They Shall Not Grow Old last night.

For those not familiar with it, it was a documentary commissioned by the British Imperial War Museums and an organization called "14-18 NOV", which is an arts program that was set up to commemorate WWI as they were heading up to the 2014 Centinennial anniversary of the start of the war. Those groups reached out to director PeterJackson (who did the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies) and asked him to basically take the ~100 hours of film they had from the Great War and turn it into something "new". In the inroduction, Jackson gives more details about what he was asked to do and the challenges. Anyway, Jackson decided to focus on the British soldiers on the Western Front. So, he took the film and he "modernized" it, added color and some 3D effects. The soundtrack to the movie is interviews of WWI vets from the Western Front that were done back in the 60s and early 70s. So, almost all the voices you hear are from men who were there.

There are some other effects that were added, including the sounds of artillary being loaded and fired and at moments the men on the screen "talk". The movie is ~90 minutes long and then, after the credits, you can stay and Jackson talkss about how they made the film and where the sound game from. It is definetely worth the extra 30 minutes to see him talk about the process.

I found it pretty fascinating. 90 minutes goes by very quickly, too. You would think that just watching old footage and listening to voice overs could quickly get boring but, at least for me, it did not. It's a very limited engagement and it may be gone after yesterday - not sure. But, if you can see it in a theater near you I recommend it. It's not something I would wait to watch at home, either. At first I thought the 3D for 100 year old film was ridiculous but when you see it is put to good use. I think you lose something if you don't see it in the theater.

Overwall, well worth the time.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:14 pm

Field of Dreams is on so of course I started watching it. One of my top 5 movies of all time. I still cry at the end!! Great flick!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:08 am

Anyone else see the new Avengers movie? My youngest turned 16 and on Saturday we have a bunch of kids over and then we took them all to see the movie. It was a good wrap up of the 22 movies they have done. I don't want to spoil anything, but there is closure on a few story lines and characters. They pretty much bring in every hero from the Marvel Universe (except the X-Men) at some point in the film. I think almost everyone gets at least a cameo view in the movie.

It was well done. Marvel excels at story telling. If you're into the genre you'll probably see it and if you're not it's probably not for you. If you've not seen a Marvel movie before, this would be a bad one to start with as it assumes you know the story and the characters. But, if you've followed it along it's a good conclusion to the Avengers saga.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:54 pm

Games of Thrones is pretty much a movie at this point. The first 3 episodes have been slightly disappointing. 3.5 hours of watching time and not much has happened. Don't get me wrong, I have been entertained but they are wasting a lot of time

Shane

Postby Shane » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:05 pm

Grower, did you have a hard time watching at least the early stages of the battle? It was very dark and they kept changing camera angles and action shots so quickly, that I wasn't sure what I was seeing for a while.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:38 pm

Shane wrote:Grower, did you have a hard time watching at least the early stages of the battle? It was very dark and they kept changing camera angles and action shots so quickly, that I wasn't sure what I was seeing for a while.

YES! We had to turn out all the lights to see it. It was very dark and the editing seemed poor. The first 10 minutes and the last 15 minutes were incredible! Loved the ending!!

Shane

Postby Shane » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:46 pm

Agreed, though I’m surprised Brienne made it thru the episode. Certainly seemed like her story arc was over.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:06 pm

Yeah, no one who would be seeded 1-10 died at all (sports reference). They were all secondary characters. 3 episodes to go and it should be awesome!