The NCAA is a complete joke

psu_dad

Re: The NCAA is a complete joke

Postby psu_dad » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:28 pm

Most schools have a PE requirement.

MIT has a swimming requirement. You can be Albert Friggin Einstein and you're not getting a diploma until you pass their swimming test. Some Ivy League colleges have the same requirement. No credits, though. And I agree that given the huge amount of time involved with playing a varsity sport, getting credit fo it (within reason) is not outrageous.

Racquetball is another matter. That's worse than getting credit for a Women's Studies course.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:29 pm

Maybe if I spelled it correctly it would be more manly.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:34 pm

That was pure envy. Tennis was huge when I was in college, but racquetball didn't become big until after I graduated. I would have killed to be able to play for free in college. The credits would have been a bonus.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:18 pm

psu_dad wrote:Most schools have a PE requirement.

Racquetball is another matter. That's worse than getting credit for a Women's Studies course.

I beg your pardon! So, I'm guessing that means squash is for sissies? I took squash in PE as a freshman.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:38 am

I don’t know about now, but back in the day you could get music or PE credit for marching in the Blue Band. It was required that music ed majors marched at least 2 seasons.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:17 am

I beg your pardon! So, I'm guessing that means squash is for sissies?

Squash? Wow. When I was young, squash was only for guys who went to prep school and had Roman numerals at the end of their name. After your squash matches, did you retire to the club bar to enjoy a Tom Collins and cucumber finger sandwiches and swap stories about your trust funds?

Mrs psu_dad: You're embarrassing me.
Me: I didn't realize his real name was PIttGradPSUMad III

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:42 am

Mad, I also took squash for a PE requirement. I remember cruising through the end-of-trimester class tournament, thinking I was pretty hot sh*t. Then I came up against a guy in the finals who knew which end of the racket to grip. I think I scored one, maybe two points against the guy in the process of getting summarily dispatched. Great game though.

And _dad, PSU - the MIT of Pennnsylvania >ahem< - had a swimming requirement back in the day. That I also remember clearly because I despised swimming in a cold pool. Shrinkage.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:54 am

Mad: Pardon me. Would you have any Grey Poupon?
JG: But of course.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:42 am

JG, I was on the swim team in high school so I took it at IUP for a credit in my first attempt at college. While I agree with your concern with cold water, at least we didn’t have to wear a speedo in the class.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:26 pm

dad, I have Roman numerals at the end of my name but somehow I missed the prep school thing.

"Bradley, would you please pass the Grey Poupon? Why no Connor I'm off to play squash with my silver spoon fraternity buds."