2017 NFL Football Season

Blue&White

Re: 2017 NFL Football Season

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:59 am

And the Giants managed their first win of the season. I didn't watch a down of it. Maybe the secret is for me not to watch.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:39 pm

I don't think it was you. I think it was Al Michaels' joke regarding Harvey Weinstein that pushed the Giants over the top.

"Things got a bit awkward, and many on social media was not having it."

Many was not having it. That's not a guy blogging from his mom's basement. That's the LA Friggin Times.
I weep for the future.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:25 pm

I saw a blurb that Michaels said something about only Harvey Weinstein having a worse week than the Giants and than issuing an apology for that comment in the 4th quarter. It was a stupid comment but people need to relax. If we can't have fun at the expense of an exposed sexual predator, at who's expense can we have fun?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:52 pm

The POTUS is a safe bet, Or maybe Jerry Jones. The many who was not having it would be OK with that.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:04 pm

Well, looks like POTUS may have his own sexual assault issue. I didn't read the details but apparently he has another accusation from someone who was on The Apprentice. So, maybe joking about him, at least on that topic, is taboo now, too.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:34 pm

So I caught the last 15 minutes of Francesca on my drive home and were listening to the Jets fans complain about how the officials screwed them. It seemed unlikely to me that the NFL team in New York would go out of their way to screw anyone in favor of the Patriots, and just assumed that it's standard Jets fan crying. So, got home and pulled up the video of it and ... I don't know. I think the Jets may have a legitimate complaint here. Not because I'm sure the NFL got the call wrong. It's hard to tell. But, that's the problem. Where I think they messed up is reversing the call on the field. Unless the team in NYC had access to some video and angles that I didn't find on the internet, I don't see how they could say there was conclusive evidence.

That's what drives me crazy with replay in both baseball and football. You should have 30 seconds. If you can't tell in 30 seconds, the call on the field can stand. If it's inconclusive, the call should stand (and technically that is the rule in both sports). How they determined the call on the field was conclusively wrong is beyond me -- unless there is an angle that I could not find.

The other complaint Jets fans had was how harsh that endzone fumble rule is and how it should be changed. I don't know. It is harsh but how often does it come up? And, what do you do instead? If the offense fumbles the ball out of the endzone, do you award them a TD? That seems like a worse result to me. I'm ok with the rule, but this result I think was f*cked up.

Once again, the Patriots get the last laugh.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:19 pm

In the first place, it was overblown. It was a meaningless game between two teams that aren't going to win the SB, The Patriots aren't because their pass defense is wretched. And the Jets aren't because they're the Jets.

In the second place, because I don't care, I'm perfectly willing to stipulate it was a bad call. So what? NFL officiating is awful. No one is out to screw the Jets or aid the Patriots. Every team gets bad calls against them or suffers from flagrant missed calls. Every week. It's folly to look for sinister motives in a matter that can simply be explained by incompetence.

I stopped going to a local drive-thru for coffee because half the time they screwed up a simple coffee order. They weren't conspiring to screw me. They just suck. So do NFL officials.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:58 pm

I agree with most of that. And, if the refs are going to be out to screw anyone it's going to be the Patriots and not the Jets. I doubt the NFL has it in for a single team but, of the 2, it's certainly not the Jets.

This was more than a bad call (and I think that's all it was - a bad call. Not a conspiracy). This was a screw up due to replay. How can they say there was conclusive evidence either way? That's the part of it that astounds me. Blowing a call on the field happens all the time. And, while officiating seems to be getting increasingly worse, that was a tough play to call (I think they got it right the first time, but hard to say for certain). But, to change a call after watching an inconclusive video of it is mind boggling.

The NFL was doubling down on the call today. It would be nice if they could show some video evidence to support it. Ultimately, though, I don't care as it only screws the Jets and, as you point out, has no real implications for the post season.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:17 pm

Just saw that Ezekiel Elliot got a restraining order to stop the court ruling that upheld his 6 game suspension that overruled a previous ruling that they couldn't suspend him that lives in the house that Jack built.

WTF is the NFL doing? Is there any evidence that he did anything wrong? I could swear there was a story that the girl was recorded saying she would get back at him for breaking up with her by doing something like this, or words to that effect. The courts aren't touching this so why is the NFL doubling down on the crazy?

You know you've gone past the point of sanity when you have me defending a Cowboy who graduated from OSU.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:33 pm

Blue&White wrote:
WTF is the NFL doing?

You know you've gone past the point of sanity when you have me defending a Cowboy who graduated from OSU.

The NFL needs new leadership. Not to be Captain Obvious, but Roger Goodell stinks. The man is literally ruining the NFL.

As for your other comment... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: