It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 7:51 am Advanced search

Sandusky and the aftermath thread

Discuss everything about Penn State and college football here.

Re: Sandusky and the aftermath thread

Postby Blue&White » Mon May 08, 2017 7:50 am

Saw the one kid interviewed this morning by Robin Roberts. To her credit, she kept asking him why he didn't just call 911 anyway and he didn't have a good answer for that. I get it, though. You're drinking, everyone else is telling you you're wrong and their right, and he's a kid like 19 or 20. I get it. I think a lot of adults in the same situation do the same thing.

Anyway, the really damning thing I picked up this morning is that when the other fraternity brothers finally did call 911, they never told the paramedics about the fall. They just said he had too much to drink. So, no one was even looking for a head injury initially. He may have died anyway, but the prosecution is claiming that was a contributing factor. I guess he has to prove that in court, but it certainly feels like it amounts to depraved indifference. It sounds like they made all the wrong decisions, and then took steps to cover it up when they needed to come clean. I think these kids have a big legal problem on their hands now.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby reincarnatedlama » Mon May 08, 2017 3:16 pm

From the account I read (and mind you this is from the prosecution) Piazza regained consciousness and attempted to move around and fell again. Also some actions were attributed to persons charged that indicated that - not only were they not pre-med - but they may actually be doing post doctoral work on epic stupidity. So depending on how accurately the surveillance videos are being portrayed there would seem to be evidence the inaction - and potentially the actions - of the accused contributed to Piazza's death.

We all know why they didn't call 911 - they were worried there would be hell to pay for the underage drinking / hazing and they failed to realize how serious a situation they were dealing with. Where I currently live - if a person calls 911 for someone ODing, assuming the person recovers and no drugs are found at scene, the person calling one is not arrested. Maybe PSU needs to consider a similar policy for alcohol related emergencies. You can argue this sends a bad message but perhaps it may have created the environment where someone calls 911 and this kid survives.

But they better get some really, really good lawyers. And my guess, with 18 guys charged somebody will look to cut a deal. And this guy doing interviews for sure needs to shut up two days ago - trying to make himself out to be a martyr when all he had to do is press 9-1-1 send isn't playing well when someone ended dead because of your inaction.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby Blue&White » Mon May 08, 2017 5:47 pm

We all know why they didn't call 911 - they were worried there would be hell to pay for the underage drinking / hazing and they failed to realize how serious a situation they were dealing with.

I think that is exactly right. They probably figured he would sleep it off and be ok. But, at the point that they did call an ambulance and didn't bother to mention the fall they crossed the line into youthful stupidity and into the realm of wanton stupidity. It's a bad scene for everyone. I'm sure these kids are no more evil or indifferent than most any other late teen/early 20 year old. They just got had a crappy situation to deal with, and did every single thing wrong. Most times you can do that and walk away with a lecture. This time, it looks like they walk away with a conviction.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby pennst92 » Tue May 09, 2017 3:21 pm

Ugh. Prayers go out to the family. Hate hearing these types of stories. Too sad.
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Previous

Return to The Locker Room