2017 NFL Football Season

Blue&White

Re: 2017 NFL Football Season

Postby Blue&White » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:31 am

The Pats didn't lose because of Brady. He pretty much dismantled the Eagles defense. The Eagles D made one big play all night, but they made it when it mattered most. But, that was not a Brady loss. Still, I can't believe he is hanging around. I was surprised he came back after he won it all last year. What else does he have to prove? I saw a blurb that his wife wants him to retire while he is still healthy, and there is no way of knowing he is. He may start showing symptoms of Parkinson's or something similar within a few years. It's not uncommon for football players. They tend not to live long, productive lives after retirement. Brett Favre has talked about having sudden memory losses and losing track of where he is and what is going on with his kids. Brady is rich and he's the best who ever played the game. That's true whether he quits today or 3 years from now.

If it were me, I'd walk off into the sunset. But, maybe that's why he is the best who ever played and I'm just a guy who watches.
Is it baseball season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:42 pm

Here is a fantastic piece on the whole Josh McDaniels thing. Hyperbole rocks!

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:32 pm

I think Brady just loves it so much. I get it. I mean, my god he was the MVP this year at age 40 so he's still playing at an incredibly high level. GOAT is always so subjective but the combination of just being so good physically along with his obviously highly competitive nature puts him at the very top of any list.

psudelco

Postby psudelco » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:41 pm

Awesome win for the Birds, watched the game with family and friends, so happy but sad for all my family members who didnt get the chance to experience this before passing.
Dougie P did what hes been doing all season in regards to being aggressive, def got the big play at the end and there was joy in mudville

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:13 pm

Blue&White wrote:Here is a fantastic piece on the whole Josh McDaniels thing. Hyperbole rocks!

Try this on for insanity

https://sports.yahoo.com/baylors-matt-r ... 10469.html
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:22 pm

Blue&White wrote:
If it were me, I'd walk off into the sunset. But, maybe that's why he is the best who ever played and I'm just a guy who watches.

I'd be walking, too, but we're not professional athletes who've dedicated our lives to reaching for the top. It must be difficult for them to flip the competitive switch and walk away from the adulation. No doubt, Brady could compete at the same high level for a few more years and, perhaps, win another SB, but his legacy is already written: he's one of the greatest if not the greatest quarterback ever and nothing will change that. Sadly, too many great athletes hang on when their skills have eroded and exit the arena in less than graceful fashion....Muhammad Ali in his final bout with Larry Holmes is a prime example. Years of physical punishment have shortened the lifespan of many an athlete and eroded their quality of life after football. So, the choice for TB is to work your butt off to maintain your physical conditioning and skill level to enhance a legacy that needs no further enhancement, or spend the rest of your life in the arms of your gorgeous wife, raise your family and figure out how to spend the bazillion semolians you've accumulated along the way. Sounds easy to me.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:47 pm

Well I don't have a legacy, supermodel wife or even get paid to do it but I still go to gym and do running races even though my joints complain to me about all the time. I know I'm probably going to pay a price for it down the line (shoulder surgery / knee replacement).

But I ain't quitting the game until the game tells me I can't be competitive anymore. So as long as I can outwork most the guys in the gym and beat 80% of the runners in road races I'm marching on. I'd rather hang on too long than quit too early. But I love working out ..... I tell people work is what I have to do, the gym is what I get to do. I go to work because they pay me. I pay to go to a gym.

My guess is we all have something we really enjoy doing that we will hold on to longer than our abilities dictate we should. Most people on this board seem to have achieved a level of success in career or personal endeavors and I would venture the reason is - you loved doing it and you didn't quit even when there were times it would have been easier to do so.

If I were Tom Brady I wouldn't quit until either I physically couldn't do it anymore or the Ls outnumbered the Ws. At the point he is at right now you'd be asking Tom Brady to quit being Tom Brady. How do you quit being yourself?
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:54 pm

How do you quit being yourself?

You go talk to guys who are not that much older than you and listen to their stories about how they can't recall their kids birthdays and events they were out because they took too many blows to the head.

Playing pro football isn't nearly the same as having sore joints because you still like to run. My dad jogged into his mid 60s when the pain became just too great. So, he stopped and did other things. But, he's not going to have long term neurological issues from running with pain. I don't care if Brady quits or not. Makes no difference to me. But, he's got young kids and the risks he's facing are now very well known. Seems like an obvious choice but it's not my life or my health.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:46 pm

I think Lama's point was that competition can drive people. I LOVE competition and my wife cannot comprehend it. She tells me I am crazy! I hate to lose and it drives me to do better. I teach an envirothon team and have won 4 out of 9 years in county. I do it because I love to see the students working hard but I love the competition. I joined bowling last year and my average has gone up almost 40 pins because I hate to lose. Winning and losing drives me. Once my daughter heads off to college I want to coach something. I think it will be basketball. Did I say I HATE to lose!

Great job for kicking ass Lama!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:57 am

I understood his point. That's what I meant about the difference between him and I. I just don't get how the competitive drive can outweigh the drive to keep living.