Random Thoughts Again

Crowbar

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Crowbar » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:17 am

I saw this story on BWI. I shouldn't laugh at it, but it I giggled like a schoolyard girl when I read it.

Two 20-somethings quit their jobs and sold everything they had so they could sail around the world. Problem though is the boat sank after 25 miles. :lol:

(No one was killed, btw).
41-33.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:14 am

Must have been some big time 24 miles, the last one not so much. Wonder what maritime insurance is like, cost, coverage, etc?
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:25 am

Read the story - they didn't bother with things like long term financial planning (they had enough money for 3 months and no insurance on boat) and instead went with the modern day method for insuring against the old "rainy day" - they set up a Go Fund Me page so they can go out and do it again.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:30 am

They had no insurance. They had no experience. And they had brains the size of walnuts. Really small walnuts.

What they had was a used sailboat they purchased for $5000. Anyone who knows anything about sailing knows that sailing in deep waters in a $5000 sailboat makes about as much sense as racing the Indianapolis 500 in a car you bought from Leo's Used Cars for $1200. They were fortunate to have gone down so close to shore. They had no chance of surviving their intended trip. Zero. Nada. They were fish food waiting to happen.

Fortunately for them, we celebrate stupidity in this country, Their sob story on GoFundMe raised 14K in one day, or so I read.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:16 am

What they had was a used sailboat they purchased for $5000. Anyone who knows anything about sailing knows that sailing in deep waters in a $5000 sailboat makes about as much sense as racing the Indianapolis 500 in a car you bought from Leo's Used Cars for $1200.

I don't know anything about sailing and I did not know that. But, that said, I have a sense of size and scale and there is no way I'd get on a small sailboat and try to sail it across an ocean. I think it takes a small modicum of intelligence to get that is probably a really bad idea that leaves very small margin for error.

As for the GoFundMe, people are idiots. My wife and I have donated to things like that for people we both knew and didn't know to raise money for unexpected medical bills, repair bills due to a natural disaster, etc. I can even see funding a project that you find of interest. But, handing over money to support someone's bad life choices? Too each their own, I guess, but count me out for that.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:24 am

These poop-for-brains "sailors" are well on their way to a Darwin award if they pursue this mishegoss. Reminds me of Chris McCandless whose into the wild adventure ended badly.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:44 am

Thinking you are going to go on a an open sea sailing adventure with minimal sailing experience is beyond stupid - stupid would imply you actually thought about it and just didn't think it through - I doubt these clods thought it through past - "this would be really cool". But that's where the inclusive / participation trophy generation takes you - you just have to want something really bad - working for it is an archaic notion.

Pitt mentioned Chris McCandless of Into the Wild fame. He has been glamorized as this tragic free spirit / Jack London by the literary / Hollywood / hipster crowd. People in Alaska think he is an arrogant nitwit (pretty much in line with this boat story) who went into a situation largely unaware and unprepared (who knew rivers in areas with huge snow melts in spring would swell). To this day McCandless admirers / adventurers trace his journey to the bus he camped in - and every year Alaskan authorities have to save one of these people (I believe several have even died).

Mother Nature may have a sweet sounding name but unspoiled nature (mountains, desert, open sea) punishes ignorance with impunity.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:29 am

I have a sense of size and scale and there is no way I'd get on a small sailboat and try to sail it across an ocean.

It's not just the size (although that's a factor) it's also the quality. There are sailboats built for sailing reasonably close to shore and there are sailboats built for crossing oceans. My BIL has one of the former. They're expensive. The latter ones are very expensive.

Some time ago, he showed me an article in a yachting magazine about a couple who was in the middle of sailing around the world. He was obviously envious. And he seemed particularly fond of their sailboat. According to him, it was small enough for two experienced sailors to handle and large and study enough to get the job done, I asked him how much it cost. "You could probably find one in good condition for about 300k", he said.

PS - His wife is totally not into this, so it's not happening for him unless he gets divorced. And then he couldn't afford it anyways.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:26 pm

Anchors aweigh my boys, anchors aweigh. Wait, we don't have an anchor, didn't come with the deluxe $5K edition. Drive back to Leo's used ocean liner and flee market to pick up an anchor. It's in the poop for brains section under the outhouse row.

For all we know, with their millennial popularity on the beg for cash web site they may run for public office, their platform, No idea of any ideas - that's how we roll and think about it, if elected we will have the Nuclear tennis ball at our finger tips day and night.

And MAD, thanks for reminding me of the Darwin Awards. I haven't seen that one in years but remember laughing a lot. Have to find it or request it for my birthday. There are days when you need to laugh.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:43 pm

I'm all set for the next Indy 500. And people better get out of my way because I'm going to tear up the track. After that? The 24 Hours of Le Mans.