Random Thoughts Again

Blue&White

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Blue&White » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:04 pm

psu_dad wrote:How do you know I don't have a time machine?

Touché'.

Btw, there is a great meme that shows a guy at a protest holding a placard that reads: "What do we want? A Time Machine! When do we want it? It's irrelevant!"
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:16 pm

I'm not normally inclined to share much personal information, but I found an old photo of me and my childhood mentor.

Mrs psu_dad: You have brown hair. And you have 10 fingers.
Me: So it's a bad photo. Sue me.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:27 pm

Is that you on the left or on the right?

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:59 pm

Blue&White wrote:Like I said, if the background check for a gun is not as simple as my wife's state background check for work and can be manipulated by a form, then people getting through who shouldn't is a feature and not a bug. There is no reason to overly complicate the process unless you want it overly complicated so it fails.

As for protecting our schools, how about our malls, our movie theaters, our restaurants, our streets, our churches, our music festivals, and our society. These weapons are a threat to our safety and well being and your right to have them should never outweigh my right to be safe from them.

As it is heavily weighed to children killing other children at school sites I think guarding these schools is a priority over malls, theaters, etc.

As to the form, again, I've filled it out more than once. It can be manipulated but the background check can't. The background check is only for felonies and police records, not mental health, etc. so it is incomplete and needs to be toughened up, expanded.

Children's violence has taken an upturn since whatever year we can name since the 1970's most likely. Using a gun is sensational but other forms of violence are also used. Oklahoma City is one example, not a school but a day care center involved. Violence is the problem, and until we discover why these children are so violent we will not solve this problem. We can discuss why they are violent but until it is established and the parents and others have the guts to enforce the solution we will circle back to other issues such as the specific tool used, the manner of the murder, etc. without solving anything. I have my ideas that have been expressed before but we can continue to circle the mountain without recognizing the central problem and come around again and again arguing tools forever without and solution that will end the violence.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:25 pm

Background checks are a joke. We want people to talk about their feelings but they they will be punished for talking about their feelings. If I am an avid hunter/gun owner and and I am depressed, there is now way I am telling my doctor anything. I am definitely not going on any medication for my depression. What kind of mental health issues constitute someone not being able to purchase a gun?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:31 am

I may have missed it in some of the posts but has anyone on the board been through a background check to purchase a firearm?
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:42 am

psu_dad wrote:I'm not normally inclined to share much personal information, but I found an old photo of me and my childhood mentor.

Mrs psu_dad: You have brown hair. And you have 10 fingers.
Me: So it's a bad photo. Sue me.

And I'll assume 1874 is your date of birth. I knew it all along.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:57 am

sameoldlama wrote:I may have missed it in some of the posts but has anyone on the board been through a background check to purchase a firearm?

It sounds like Carl has. But, I think your question misses the point. A background check is a pretty standard thing. My wife goes through this all the time. She gets finger printed and provides some identification documentation and the authorities do the rest. They don't ask you questions. You are not given the opportunity to provide misleading or false information because they do not rely on anything you have to say (although I suppose a fake ID or fake social security number could cause a problem, but presumably the finger print check would sniff that out if there was something to find).

If a background check for a gun has a process that is more onerous or easier to circumvent or get around than any other background check, then that is a deliberate thing and you have to assume it is for the purpose of minimizing it's effectiveness. Again - a feature and not a bug. There is no reason to make the process more complicated than it needs to be. A gun background check is looking for the same thing the school boards are looking for on my wife - is there an arrest or criminal conviction. There is no reason to add forms or anything else. That's my point. Carl is saying it's completely different than the background check I got for my employment. I call bullshit on that. It's actually the exact same thing, at least in terms of the end goal. If the process is more complicated, or more susceptible to failure, you really have to ask "why?"

Well, you may have to ask why. I don't. It's pretty clear to me why that would be.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:56 am

I was just asking because I have no experiential knowledge of how difficult it is to legally obtain a gun. I've never done it and don't personally know anyone who has. If you follow news accounts one side would have you believe it's easier to get than cold medicine and the other side would have you believe it's harder to get than a fair game out of a Witovet crew.

To your point of doing a study - I guess the first thing I would do is determine how effective is my current system at denying permits to people who shouldn't get them and my second step would be assessing should their be additional criteria added to process to screen potential problem owners.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:08 pm

Politically, there are two camps. The camp who believes guns are the fundamental problem and wants to get rid of them or limit their capability. And the camp that believes crazy people are the fundamental problem and would prefer that you ferret them out rather than limiting what law-abiding gun owners can own.

And no "study" is going to change their minds. Ever. If a study supports the position of Camp 1, they're going to say ah-HA! and Camp 2 is going to call Bullshit!. And vice versa.
Klaatu barada nikto