2017-18 baseball off season

psu_dad

Re: 2017-18 baseball off season

Postby psu_dad » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:42 am

I didn't realize that was popular with the older crowd. There's actually a national championship for "serious" players. The only reason I know is because I stumbled upon it on the tube late one night. I can see how it would appeal to older folks (vs tennis). There's not nearly as much court to cover.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:06 pm

I realize some will call this blasphemy but I think baseball should cut their season by 40 - 60 games and the WS should be over by Labor Day. IMO football and basketball can hype games more because in a shorter season games carry more weight and urgency. You see to many baseball games where it look like team is going through motion or they throw out a dead arm to rest other starters. With 162 games forfeiting a few here and there is part of the strategy.

I think drastically cutting season would also cut down on injuries and raise competitive level of game. I also realize it will never happen because too many people would be walking away from too much money.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:36 pm

I agree it would probably be a better product if the regular season was shortened. But in my lifetime, every single decision MLB has made regarding scheduling has been about more $$$. They went from a 154-game schedule to a 162-game schedule. They eliminated single-admission double headers. They expanded the post-season. As a result, the World Series went from early October to late October.

You're right. It will never happen

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:05 pm

40 to 60 games is too much but having the season end by mid-September, so ~15 games or so, would work. But, it won't happen. I'd be happy if they took it back to 154 but that won't happen either.

I don't mind the long season, per se, but by September you have teams vying for playoff spots and they are facing teams starting minor leaguers to give them a look and that really skews things from a competitive perspective. A team lucky enough to have a run at the end with teams that are long out of it may not face a major league lineup for the final 2 weeks, and another team fighting for a playoff spot may be facing contenders trying to stay sharp. It is what it is, I guess.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:57 pm

Just think if you have WS wrapping up Labor Day weekend with each game preceded by a CFB game - that's how you end summer.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:34 pm

I don't object to shortening the season some, but a month is to much for my tastes. A week, maybe 10 days and be done with the World Series by the 3rd week of October I'm on board with. But, labor day is too early.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:13 pm

This reminds me of the scene in Fever Pitch where the guy tries to explain to his GF why he and his friends go down to Florida for Spring Training every year.

HER: Aren't those just practice games?
HIM: Yeah, yeah, but there's more to it than that. We scout the players. We say which players they should keep and which they should get rid of.
HER: And the Red Sox ask your opinion?
HIM: Well ... not yet. But if they ever do ...

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:13 pm

That's actually one of my favorite scenes in that movie.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:33 am

Here's a nice story about Charlie Manuel keeping an eye out on Roy Halladay's kids.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:37 am

MLB hoping for Yankees-Red Sox in London in 2019

I don't get this obsession of US sports leagues to export games to countries who could not care less about our sports. Europeans know nothing about baseball. All they are doing is taking a marque series from fans in the states. This is just ridiculous.