Politics

Blue&White

Re: Politics

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:39 pm

It's almost as if they are making this shit up as they go...

Yep. "Almost".
Is it baseball season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:51 pm

Tariff signed, and Mexico and Canada are excluded due to, I think, NAFTA. I think that is going to undermine the "national security" argument and give some legal footing to go to the WTO. I guess now he either adds additional exemptions for Europe or we wait for them to retaliate.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:26 pm

Trump announced that he will be meeting with Kim Jong Un of North Korea. I haven't read much about it thus far, but I imagine that there are spin masters at work on either side at this point. I am a little skeptical that the meeting will even take place as there have been no preliminary talks that I am aware of, but if it does I hope it works out well. My initial concern is that this will legitimize the NK leader, in his own eyes at the very least, and that could have negative implications over there.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:39 am

Looks like Connor Lamb has won the special election in the 18th district of PA. Trump carried that district by 20 points and the Democrats did not even put forth a candidate the past 2 election cycles. That district no longer exists come next year and it will be split into 2 districts come November, making it easier for the Democrats to hold most likely. Bring on the midterms.

Also, no one commented that Tillerson was not only fired but fired over twitter. Apparently the first he heard of it is when Trump tweeted who his new Secretary of State would be. That's all class.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:59 am

I didn't follow the 18th District race too close, but I saw that they all called Lamb a Pelosi lackey and stooge, but now that he won, he is in the mold of Trump and should sign with the GOP.

And is has been (another) crazy week in TrumpWorld. My son likes to watch Real Time with Bill Mahr when he can, so I record it for him. He is 18 and fairly liberal, but thinks some of Mahr's positions are extreme. He likes the discussions and even some of the jokes. The crazy thing is, we usually get to watch three or four days after it airs, and by that time most of the topics have become old news...

Regarding Rexit, I am not surprised that Trump would fire one of the adults. Hell, he is about to fire the other one, if speculation on Kelly is accurate. I am surprised that the guy famous for the phrase "You're Fired!" didn't have the stoned to say it to his face. Actually, I'm not. I am becoming desensitized to the excessive amounts of crazy coming from this administration.

One more thing, he was on the west coast earlier this week. I guess he complained that his wall prototypes wasn't see through or something. Maybe a guy used to building shit would know to put the requirements into the order? Anyway, after the visit to the wall window shopping, he was at the USMC air base talking to troops. He tweeted something like it was great to visit with the "Marine Core" and meet such fine people. Maybe it was a typo, maybe he is really a functional illiterate, I don't know, but that error didn't go over well with most of the Marines that I know...

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:14 am

Also, no one commented that Tillerson was not only fired but fired over twitter.

I was devastated when I heard that. I wept uncontrollably for hours.

Seriously, who give a rat's ass about a former oil executive who's worth a bazillion dollars. You think he's never canned someone before without telling them in person? He can go back to his 12,000,000,000 acre ranch in Texas now and ride horsies all day.

PS - He wasn't fired over twitter. He was told previously that his days were numbered and a replacement was being sought. The announcement came over twitter. But saying he was fired over twitter is more dramatic, so let's go with that.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:36 am

Tillerson sucked but I'm pretty sure the guy coming in is going to do even more damage to our international image. But, if the end result is no one wants us in their country and we become forced isolationists, then it may not be so bad. I'm actually all for anything that gets us to stop being the world's policeman, even if it happens via incompetence. As for the announcement, I know he was told he was going to be replaced but he found out about "when" at the same time everyone else did and by the same means. Tillerson may have gotten what he deserved, but that's not how you should be getting rid of people.

Anyway, the best comment I've seen (other than Lion's "Rexit", which was pretty hilarious) was that every time someone from the Trump administration departs we should see the Oompa Loompas come out and sing a song about the dangers of greed and gluttony. We'd see a whole lot of the Oompa Loompas. And, I'm talking the original Ooompa Loompas, not those sucky ones in the crappy, creepy Johnny Deep remake.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:45 am

That would be funny, B-Dub!

I can't take credit for "Rexit" as I heard it somewhere else. The news cycle as it is, or the fact that I am firmly entrenched in my fifties, I can't even remember where I heard it... I was no fan of his, but found myself thinking he was the lesser of the evils regarding policy positions.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:33 am

Tillerson sucked but I'm pretty sure the guy coming in is going to do even more damage to our international image.

My boxer can balance a dog biscuit on her nose. And she won't drop it and eat it until we say she can. Not to mention, I get "beautiful dog!" shout-outs all the time when I take her for walks. The last time I walked her at my son's place, two people came out of their homes to ask if they could pet her.

She could replace Tillerson with one paw tied behind her back.
Klaatu barada nikto

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:55 pm

The difference is that politicians and celebrities think they are the center of the universe and will say and do whatever they can to remain in the limelight.

Our dogs are the center of the universe, and don't care if you like it or not. As long as you feed them regularly and give them a treat when they walk through the door...