Crush SPitt In-Game

Blue&White

Re: Crush SPitt In-Game

Postby Blue&White » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:01 pm

Adding to something Lama said - McSorley needs to stop rushing to run and give plays a chance to develop. He's going to get killed doing that and teams are going to start keying in on that.

I'm glad Hamilton brought his hands this week. Too many drops in week 1. Johnson needs to get more passes, though. He's a big, physical receiver. That kid can be a game changer if he's allowed to contribute to the game. With all those weapons, there is no reason for our offense to struggle or Trace to run so much. Also, I'd much rather see Hamilton return kicks than Barkley. That's just asking for trouble.

As for the D, let's see how that develops. That was a good unit last year but they had some issues early on. There is talent there. They need to start wrapping guys up and tackling on the first contact. Do that and they should be ok.

We have one more week to work out the kinks. Georgia State should be a blow out. Here's hoping they figure things out and are ready for the Big10 schedule.

PennState03Chris

Postby PennState03Chris » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:25 pm

This was a week where everything =, except special teams, just seemed off. Credit Pitt for doing some things well, but, boy, did we look off.

Concerns moving forward:

1) Lack of a running game between the tackles. This was true this week and last.
2) DEs playing undisciplined, especially the young guys. They were repeatedly driven out of plays by the OTs of Pitt.
3) Bad angles and poor tackling by the entire D. I haven't seen a sure tackling defense at PSU since 2012.

What was nice about that game is that I never really doubted that we would win. Frustrated at times, sure, but no doubt that we would win. It'll be interesting to see how the season plays out.

Underlion

Postby Underlion » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:14 pm

Always interesting what different people see. Without two Pitt turnovers that is a nailbiter and as someone noted it was a close 19 point win. We don't know how good that Pitt line is but they controlled our defensive line. The B10 Network says the PSU Defense was good in that game but we fans don't see it. We gave up too many long third down conversions and just didn't come up with big stops until the red zone.

I know our scheme is RPO but I'd like to feel we are dominant enough to just blast SB up the middle for 5 or pitch to him once in a while. We did seem to get him off the edges on some quicker plays, maybe they were not RPO or McS optioned to a quick hitting run. At some point I want to see us line up and run for a yard against a loaded box. It is probably good that Pitt gave them some trouble, they need to get back to work. Had they blown Pitt out they might have believed to much hype. They are not that good yet.

nittwittier

Postby nittwittier » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:24 pm

Most of my impressions of the game were covered by you all. A few random ones though:
1) Love our punting game. I think at one point we had 5 punts, all landed in below the 20, including two below the 5. One lead to a safety. Gilikin was the top rated punter in the country when we recruited him. That schollie is paying off
2) I love that we comfortably beat a team and I came away disappointed that we didnt wreck them by more. Having expectations is fun
3) Second week in a row where we have taken our time getting Barkley involved. Wondering if that is by design?
4) Lot of overthrows by McSorley. But play design and stuff was excellent. Had a lot of open receivers
5) My biggest concern is our front seven. In the Franklin era, we recruited amazingly at almost all positions (hence the great results). However, we swung and missed at DL a lot. Lot of players there are projects. Might take them a while to be effective