Politics

sameoldlama

Re: Politics

Postby sameoldlama » Tue May 15, 2018 9:34 am

Based on reports I read there were Palestinians throwing Molotov cocktails and planting explosive devices at fence - the group at the Palestinian side was estimated a 40K.
Also Iranian forces in Syria thought they spend part of last weekend attacking the Golan Heights.

You can debate the wisdom of establishing an Israeli state post WWII given the foreseeable religious tensions. For Israel there really is no peaceful solution when a number on countries in the region consistently scream for them to be wiped of the face of the planet - what is the peaceful compromise with that? I completely understand why Israel doesn't have much of sense of humor when 40K people show up at there border hurling flaming bottles and trying to blow up a security fence.

I understand Israel in not a bunch of angels - but in a pragmatic sense I also know who has our back in the battle against Islamic based terror - and it ain't Palestine, Hamas or Hezbollah.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue May 15, 2018 10:06 am

Like I said, Israel has some real concerns and they deal with a lot of shit. But, can you think of any other country that could have snipers pick off civilians like that and have the US defend it? Seriously, can you think of any other instance where that would be tolerated by the US, much less defended at the highest levels of government? The Palestinians have loads of blood on their hands. I don't think there is any question about that. Their government can't or won't stop bombers coming into Israel and hitting civilian targets, and then they cry foul when Israel hits back. They have little credibility. But, stationing snipers to start shooting at people the way Israel did yesterday is not a solution.

It also doesn't help that Israel has no interest in peace either. Their constant expansion into what's left of the Palestinian territories is just begging for war. They are not doing themselves any favors and they certainly are not trying for peace. Same with this move of the embassy. I'm not that bothered if we put our embassy in Jerusalem but you can't do that and claim that the US is a neutral arbiter here trying to get to a solution.

Neither US nor Israel is taking any steps to make things better. Maybe there is no real steps to make things better, but if that's the case then maybe just stop pretending you are interested in a peaceful solution.
Is it baseball season yet?

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue May 15, 2018 10:10 am

Exactly, Llama.

Geographically Israel is a postage stamp on a football field. And the rest of the football field wants them wiped off the face of the Earth. The other side has resorted to war, terrorism, uprisings and other acts of violence to try and eradicate Israel. And Israel has held its own.

While I won't condone Israel's response here, I also won't condemn it. I too saw on CBS News (again, hardly a right wing propaganda machine) the rocks and Molotov cocktails being thrown at the Israeli troops. We can argue whether the response was appropriate. But you are tempting fate when you are part of a group of tens of thousands and you throw rocks and other dangerous items at armed soldiers.
41-33.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue May 15, 2018 10:13 am

The way I see it, the US and many others have tried for a peaceful solution over the decades, all to no avail. Obviously we need to keep trying. But a peaceful solution will be impossible so long as there are elements on both sides who will never accept a peaceful solution.
41-33.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Tue May 15, 2018 10:20 am

I wouldn't worry guys, Jared Kushner is on it. Should be settled in a few days.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue May 15, 2018 1:04 pm

I suspect if a "one true God" came down and tried to settle that dispute it would still be a difficult task.

Take a look at the stuff that stresses us in the Pet Peeves thread and imagine being someone who lives in these areas that have been in conflict for what amounts to some people's entire life. Imagine being a soldier who patrols borders. There isn't enough Nutty Bars, Swiss Rolls, whiskey, craft beers or chocolate peanut butter protein shakes on the earth that could get our stress levels to a manageable level.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue May 15, 2018 1:34 pm

Perhaps not, but I'd like to try a month of the whisky/craft beer/swiss roll diet and see what it does to my blood pressure. I bet it goes way, way down (while my waste line goes way, way up).

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue May 15, 2018 4:00 pm

At least ABC is reporting that North Korea is threatening to cancel the upcoming summit with Trump. I never believed this was going to happen but, in all honesty, I thought Trump would be the one to find a reason to pull out.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue May 15, 2018 4:19 pm

Blue&White wrote:Perhaps not, but I'd like to try a month of the whisky/craft beer/swiss roll diet and see what it does to my blood pressure. I bet it goes way, way down (while my waste line goes way, way up).

Somehow, fat and happy became a bad thing; probably due to the cholesterol and degenerative nature, but we could probably go back to that to a reasonable degree and have it serve us well. I mean, I'm not talking 'my 600 pound life' or anything. But a little good food and drink can't really be that bad, right?

As for North Korea, I expected Trump to find a reason to pull out. He has been hinting at it all along.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue May 15, 2018 5:36 pm

So, there are a couple of videos out of what happened yesterday in Jerusalem. The videos are by no means a total record of what happened. But, based on what I was able to see, the Palestinians were throwing rocks from quite a distance. The videos I looked at didn't show them anywhere near the soldiers and hitting one with a rock wasn't any kind of threat. I saw them burning tires but not throwing flaming bottles, although I don't doubt it happened. But, the videos I saw showed, again, the Palestinians were not anywhere near the Israelis and they did not pose any specific danger. There are also tear gas bombs getting dropped into the crowd by drones.

So, the Israelis are dropping tear gas into the crowd, the crowd is basically armed with rocks and far enough away that they don't pose any real threat, and the Israeli army opened fire with live ammunition.

I'm not so sure both parties bear equal responsibility here. The Israelis opened fire into a crowd that was basically unarmed. How is that ok?