Random Thoughts Again

sameoldlama

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby sameoldlama » Wed May 16, 2018 3:18 pm

A lot of seniors I know seem to be big on the Subaru Forrester. You can get all wheel drive a hatch baack which makes loading / unloading easy. Definitely stay away from the Jeep Wrangler - my Mom is 87 and jamming her into my Jeep is like Sisyphus pushing that rock up the hill.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Wed May 16, 2018 5:12 pm

my mom has a Rogue and really likes it

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed May 16, 2018 6:42 pm

Both my 79 year old dad and 74 year old mom drive Camrys and they both love them. May be a bit low for your needs, though.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed May 16, 2018 6:47 pm

The Rogue is basically Nissan's version of the Honda CRV. I tried to get my wife to test drive it, but she had her mind made up to get another CRV.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed May 16, 2018 8:50 pm

No matter how many times I listen and no matter what device I try it on, I hear "Laurel". No matter how many times she listens and no matter device she tries it on, my wife hear's "Yanni".

20+ years of marriage down the drain.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu May 17, 2018 8:19 am

Men have one X and one Y chromosome. They hear Laurel. Females have two X chromosomes, commonly referred to by Biologists as the "Meshuggana Configuration" They hear Yanni.

You should have paid more attention in science class.
Klaatu barada nikto

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Thu May 17, 2018 8:45 am

Interestingly on my computer at work I hear "Laurel" but on my phone I hear "Yanny". Weird.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu May 17, 2018 9:02 am

As I understand it, the frequency response of the speakers used is definitely a factor (though not the only one). Over the cheesy built-in speaker on my laptop, it sounds like neither. With my Bose headphones plugged in, it's clearly Laurel.

But that doesn't explain people hearing differently over the same speakers. I suppose our ears and brains have different frequency responses as well.
Klaatu barada nikto

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu May 17, 2018 9:42 am

So, Hell must have frozen over as I am about to type something I never, ever imagined I would...

_dad, you are absolutely correct!

Our ears may all work fundamentally the same, but our brains process those signals differently. I tend to hear lower frequencies much clearer than higher ones. You guys know I played saxophone at Penn State and then in the Navy for 20 years. I feel totally at home on the bari sax (the big one that the Simpson girl plays) but I am less comfortable on the alto and soprano (David Sanborn and Kenny G, respectively). When classic rock is on the radio, I tune into the bass lines right away. I can still listen to and appreciate a good guitar solo or screaming vocal, but I hear the low end much better. But that is probably more information that you guys cared to know...

As for the car, my mother in law is a tiny woman and she drives a Ford Edge and is quite comfortable with it. I think it is their crossover type vehicle, much like the Forrester.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu May 17, 2018 9:45 am

35 years of going to concerts and my hearing is shot. I'm lucky I hear at all.