Thai kids trapped in cave

Blue&White

Thai kids trapped in cave

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:49 am

I assume all of you are familiar with this story at this point. Hard to believe anyone has missed it.

Anyway, a fomer Thai Navy Seal who was volunteering with the rescue effort died overnight. That really highlights how dificult it's going to be to get these kids out of there. If an experienced, military trained diver can lose consciousness down there and (I presume) drown, the odds of geting a bunch of kids with no diving experience and who can't even swim out of those caves does not seem likely.

what an absolute horror show. That article I linked also says more rain is coming. They are pumping water out of there best they can but I seriously doubt they have the ability to pump faster than the water rises. I've seen flood waters rise and when the water comes it comes FAST. The water flooding the caves are fed by rivers. That's a lot of water coming at them. That is a lot of pumping. It's not a good situation.

I saw this morning that they are looking for another way into the cave system and are searcing the area above the cave looking for another way in. It sounds like the situation is getting desperate and they may have to try something with a low probability of success.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Re: Thai kids trapped in cave

Postby psu_dad » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:33 am

...the odds of getting a bunch of kids with no diving experience and who can't even swim out of those caves does not seem likely.

It seems extremely unlikely. I was actually discussing this the other day with an acquaintance who took scuba diving lessons years ago through a local YMCA. He said it was one thing to do this as a novice in a benign environment, like a swimming pool or a local sunlit lake. But to do it in an extremely confined passage way in total darkness was unimaginable to him.

I can't imagine that's Plan A or even Plan B. I suppose they need a Plan Z in the event that flooding of the area in which these kids are now becomes imminent and it's either try to swim out or certain death.

Yes. It's an absolute horror show.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:48 am

I suppose they need a Plan Z in the event that flooding of the area in which these kids are now becomes imminent and it's either try to swim out or certain death.

I'm not there and it's tought to really gauge from far away, but the talk about the rains and the upcoming monsoon season makes me think they are going to get to that Plan Z stage sooner rather than later. The news this morning is that the conditions in the cave are changing on a daily basis. I read that as the water is coming in higher.

One thing I read is they may knock these kids out and swim them out unconscious. I've never been scuba diving so I have no idea if that's realistic or not. But, that sounds like a pretty desperate plan to me. They may be getting desperate, though.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:36 pm

Apparently the plan is to swim them out using a "buddy dive" system. It does not sound promising. But, I keep reading the oxygen levels in the cave are dropping and the water is expected to keep rising.

If you believe in miracles now may be a good time to pray for one. These kids and their coach sure need one.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:41 am

Well, the first 3 kids have been safely removed from the cave. Probably going to take another day to get them all out.

tempe

Postby tempe » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:31 am

"Some passages within the cave are reportedly so narrow that only one body can barely squeeze through them"
Ok - I saw a map in the NYT and MAN! those kids are in deep. I am having a hard time understanding how stupid the coach must be to take kids that deep into a system. Did he have ANY idea what he was doing? Is he from around there? Did no one know about water? Condemn me - but, as a parent, I would really want to talk to that coach. Glad they are getting people out - but I would be looking to send the coach a bill.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:11 am

5th kid is safe and out. Pretty amazing they were able to get 5 out without any issue.

Tempe - I had a similar thought. From what I read the coach frequently takes the kids into the caves for hikes frequently. Some team building thing, I guess. I read that it's a known thing that the caves are dangerous for this exact reason, but this guy has been apparently wandering into them with kids for some time now. Guess this is the first time it went badly for him. I guess the water came early this year.

I get how something like this can happen, but I agree that if I were the parents of one of those boys I'd be pretty steamed.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:10 am

All 12 kids and the coach are now out. Not a single fatality among the trapped kids.

That is definitely a bet I would have lost.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:53 am

That is definitely a bet I would have lost.

Well, it was made to sound like just reaching the location where these kids were trapped required a totally outrageous effort by highly-skilled professional divers. So the odds of getting 13 total amateurs out the same way seemed extremely low.

This was either somewhat "mis-reported" or it was the greatest rescue in the history of rescues. No matter, I suppose. All's well that ends well.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:21 am

I think the rescue was aided by technology. Apparently they were able to pump a lot of the water out so there were "dry" spots where the kids could come up and walk, stand, swim, and not have to worry about the scuba diving. I think that made a big, big difference. There were some tight spots getting them through but, beyond that, I think pumping the water out made a huge difference.

Apparently they got them out just before some heavy rains hit. From what I read, that is why it becamse so urgent. The fear was once the real rains came there was no way to hold back the water and that cave would likely fill up high enough that even if they weren't completely submerged they would still suffocate. But, a military trained diver died in this effort. I don't think the risk or the danager was exaggerated here. It was just minimized by technology.