Wisky Thread

Underlion

Re: Wisky Thread

Postby Underlion » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:53 pm

Not a bad game but the kicking and dumb errors remind us why we lost 3. For the most part receivers caught the ball, Sanders ran well. Polk didn't have a drop :roll:

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:10 pm

PennState03Chris wrote:
Nat@PSU wrote:What a clown show.

Yep.

Remember how JF was voted most overrated coach in the nation by his peers?

Is this true? Who compiled the rating? JF's record the past two seasons would or should be the envy of many coaches. I'm not happy about sweating bullets in the 4th quarter of nearly every game, and I would agree that some coaching issues have developed this season....i.e. lack of WR productivity and lackluster ST play. I believe it's a bit premature, though, to start throwing JF under the bus, particularly when we're looking at a 9-3 record and a trip to a decent bowl game. This is a young team with loads of talent. If we're 0-for-3 against MSU, OSU and UM next year and the team still resembles the Keystone Cops, then we should be having the coaching conversation. Btw, I agree with llama's post looking at the arc of Nick Saban's career. JF deserves a chance to prove himself over the longer term.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

tempe

Postby tempe » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:37 pm

I agree about the coaching wonderment. I wish I knew enough to call out coaches or players and the places in-between. Somehow I think the little things do lie with coaching, but, truth is, I am unqualified to say.

As for today's game - this was two 6 and 3 teams trying to save a season. We did. But we were at home and they basically came without a quarterback. Try winning one dimensional. But then again - we won and I feel like we won - we did not "get lucky" even after some self inflicted setbacks. We overcame.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:32 am

Sure they've had some tough losses dating back to the 2017 Rose Bowl. But it is head scratching to me how anyone could want JF fired right now. I don't understand that line of thinking.

11-2
11-2
(For all intents and purposes) 9-3 and a nice Florida bowl game.

I don't see how the above warrants firing, or even consideration of it.
41-33.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:10 am

The wins don’t matter to some as much as the losses to the other big teams.

That said, I was pleased to see ABC broadcast the Blue Band doing the National Anthem and wish they would show the bands more. Obviously, as a musician and former PSMBB member, I am biased. I suggested to the BTN that they do a weekly spot on the marching bands as I bet it would get more viewers than some of their programming. I also liked the spot ABC did on the late, great Wally Triplett.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:28 am

I don't see how the above warrants firing, or even consideration of it.

I suppose that depends on expectations. In 5 years, he hasn't yet established Penn State as a CFP-caliber team. If that's the goal, he's fallen short. If competing for a Big-10 title occasionally is enough, there's no reason to consider letting him go. He seems capable of accomplishing that.

PS - If he ever brings back those fakakta jerseys with the white trim, he should be fired immediately.
Klaatu barada nikto

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:24 am

I don't know. In 16 and 17 they were definitely "playoff caliber". They should have have gotten the nod in 16. OSU didn't even score a point. I think part of the "issue" is that he unexpectedly won the BIG in year 3 of a rebuilding project. That raised expectations and shortened the timeline. But the team still has some depth issues. And several new coaches. I agree a couple of games were there for the taking but crap happens. I mean everyone says Urban is such a great coach but if he isn't stupid and rushes his FG team on in 16 they probably win that game and PSU doesn't win the BIG that Year. I don't believe for one second that anyone in a decision making capacity has given ANY thought to making a change. It can be frustrating at times but who else would you get? There are probably about 120 other teams who would love to be where PSU is. That last bit of the hill is a tough climb.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:33 am

The reality about college football today is it's Alabama and no one else really matters. And until either Saban leaves or until someone figures out how to beat him consistently it's going to stay that way.

Sure there are a few other great teams out there - Clemson, Oklahoma, even Ohio State - but, let's face it, this is the Nick Saban/Alabama era in college football.

With that said, I already feel sorry for whoever replaces Saban.
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:58 am

I can't believe anyone would seriously discuss firing Franklin either. This entire discussion sounds like chatter from internet posting morons.

oh, wait a minute........ :o
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:11 am

Near term? No. But let me play the Devil's Advocate.

Suppose he continues on his current arc, i.e., he doesn't compete for a NC ... he competes for a B10 title occasionally ...he has a bad overall record against the iron of the B10... but they play in a respectable non-playoff bowl most years . Is that enough? Is he still the HC 10 years from now?
Last edited by psu_dad on Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Klaatu barada nikto