2019 Baseball Season

psu_dad

Re: 2019 Baseball Season

Postby psu_dad » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:34 am

In other news: Baseball sucks. Alex Cora sucks. Chris Sale sucks. Rick Porcello sucks. And I demand a do-over to the start of season.
Fire Alex Cora

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:02 pm

Blue&White wrote:Well, that opener for the Mets-Phillies was an ugly one with Syndergaard and Nola both getting pounded on a cold night. I fell asleep after the Phillies tied it up in the 8th and woke up to see the Mets pulled it out in the 11th. All I can say is watching Harper choke twice in situations when he could have broken the game over for the Phillies is the kind of thing I can enjoy all season.

As a secondary point, the Phillies play some really awful defense. Aside from having problems fielding the ball, they lack fundamentals. Not hitting the cut off man, not knowing where to throw the ball, and even not knowing how many men are on base. Herrera almost was thrown out at 3rd after the Mets walked a batter because he thought the bases were loaded. Maybe it was fatigue but the Phillies made a lot of mental errors. Physical errors happen but there is no excuse for mental lapses, much less multiple mental lapses.

The Phillies defense is putrid! You should have seen them last year! I honestly couldn't watch them on defense!!

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:08 pm

Blue&White wrote:Oh, one other thing: the game ended when Mets closer Edwin Diaz struck out Harper, Hoskins and Realmuto on 11 total pitches. Some salt for Grower's wound.

8-)

As long as they were real strikes then I am okay with what happened. Last night I watched the Sixers pound the Nets!!

Bdub mentioned before that calling balls and strikes would instantaneous. I am sure baseball can find a way to make balls and strikes suspenseful. Ball hits the catchers glove, everyone looks to the big screen to see where the ball was caught. There is a plate with a huge square for the strike zone. The ball comes coasting in and takes 1 second to get to the exact resting position. Somehow tennis does a great job of using video to decide if balls are in or out. I am sure baseball can figure it out. I would love watching baseball that way! BTW, there are times where I think a batter should be out because I thought the ball was a strike, but as soon as I see it replayed using ball placement technology and it shows the ball was NOT a strike- I am good with it.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:10 pm

Dude, I knew the Mets were cheaters!! We have ourselves some detective work to do! Time to get to work fellas!!
https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/does-video-show-mets-pitcher-noah-syndergaard-cheating-against-phillies

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:13 pm

Bdub mentioned before that calling balls and strikes would instantaneous. I am sure baseball can find a way to make balls and strikes suspenseful. Ball hits the catchers glove, everyone looks to the big screen to see where the ball was caught. There is a plate with a huge square for the strike zone. The ball comes coasting in and takes 1 second to get to the exact resting position. Somehow tennis does a great job of using video to decide if balls are in or out. I am sure baseball can figure it out. I would love watching baseball that way! BTW, there are times where I think a batter should be out because I thought the ball was a strike, but as soon as I see it replayed using ball placement technology and it shows the ball was NOT a strike- I am good with it.

Maybe add a holographic reinactment of every pitch, complete with light show. And, talk about suspense - the real suspense will be when everyone wakes up in the morning to find out how the game ended because each inning will take about 45 minutes and everyone will go to bed in the 3rd. Sounds like a great way to grow interest in the game and continue to grow revenue. Good thinking. :roll:

As for Syndergaard cheating - I hadn't seen that but if he was cheating he sure sucked at it. He hasn't pitched that poorly in years. So, whatever he was doing to "cheat", I hope he doesn't do it again. The Mets can't handle it.
Baseball season!!!!

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:24 pm

It should take 5 years to call a ball and strike. Tennis does a great job of making in and out calls suspenseful and they don't take 5 years. And if the hitter gets a 3rd strike called then he will be catapulted to the bench. That will save some time. I think catapults will make any game interesting!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:52 pm

And if the hitter gets a 3rd strike called then he will be catapulted to the bench.

Ok, now you're starting to make some sense.
Baseball season!!!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:08 pm

Sometimes in life, by sheer happenstance, we stumble into making the right decision. For example, earlier I was considering giving dad grief for the Red Sox getting beaten up by the Yankees 8 - 0. But, I decided not to (mostly because I was running late for something).

Anyway, I just got on the train and checked the Mets-Phillies score. And, I am seriously glad I didn't give dad any stick about the Sawx.

Ugh. Tell me when this one is over. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day. It better be because my friend and I took the day off and are going to the game tomorrow.
Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:02 pm

I was considering giving dad grief for the Red Sox getting beaten up by the Yankees 8 - 0

Where have you been? They give up 8 runs every night. They literally lead MLB in runs against. Their starting rotation is a combined 2-11 with an ERA of 7.61. I check the scores each morning, but I stopped watching 2 weeks ago. You'd have to be a masochist to watch this shit-show.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:18 am

Well, Chris Sale agrees with you. He's still cashing his paycheck but he agrees with you.

It is peculiar how the Red Sox have fallen apart like this. It's one thing for a pitcher to have an off night, or even lose something in his mechanics that that takes a while to figure out. That happens. But, all of them? Maybe the complaints about how Cora didn't pitch them in the spring are valid. Something is up. For a whole staff to shit the bed like that a few months after winning 100+ games and the world series makes no sense.
Baseball season!!!!