What was your toughest defeat as a Penn State football fan?

saturdaysarebetter

What was your toughest defeat as a Penn State football fan?

Postby saturdaysarebetter » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:07 pm

What was your toughest defeat to take as a Penn State football fan?

The Sugar Bowl loss to Alabama would be my first choice. A lost national championship.

In person for me, it was the loss at home to Minnesota when it appeared we could run the table and go undefeated in 1999.

Blue&White

Re: What was your toughest defeat as a Penn State football fan?

Postby Blue&White » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:54 pm

1999 Minnesota game.

Worst.

Loss.

Ever.
Baseball season!!!!

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:08 pm

6-4

Shane

Postby Shane » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:10 pm

Recency bias but the last two to OSU have sucked.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:55 am

The younger set has spoken. While I attended the Minnesota debacle and it was horrible, the Alabama game that we were outcoached by the Bear again when we were the better team was worse. We hadn't been awarded an MNC yet as it was completely subjective at that time (how much different now, semi-subjective top four). The crushing defeat had the fan base, the team and Joe in a funk for a year. Sue told Joe to snap out of it eventually, really.

I'd say Minnesota was 2nd but we were pretenders and collapsed after that loss. The team that lost to Alabama on four up the middle plays where the QB end run was so open it cried due to inattention. That was devastating to the entire fan base as well as the team.

A reason why the 82 Nebraska game was so gratifying. We were hungry and had been slighted, impugned and demeaned by fans and sportswriters across the land for our Eastern schedule of "patsies" while ignoring the mid-west, southland and west coast patsies the other schools played and ran up the score for "style points as Herbie would say along with the eye test and perpetual overrating as is evidenced to this day with UM and ND annually. This had been the case since the 1950s and our Syracuse rivalry that the younger fans don't understand. This is part of the reason espin is so anti PSU, the plethora of SU communications grads that work there - hate our school. Really, really hate us, still do. It's part of their tradition.

They all hurt, the OSU giveaways that past two years are inciting anger, finish them off coach! Minnesota had gotten the rotten end of several deals with the refs in games at Beaver Stadium under Glen Mason's leadership. They were due and got a miracle, we gave up a miracle. I was hard to watch. The place was like a tomb as we filed out silently. But after the Alabama Sugar Bowl most were depressed, we had the team, we were better and let it slip away, again. The Bear owned Joe, again. Then we had a very brutal winter to brew on the misfortune. The temps never reached 32 degrees from Thanksgiving until early April while we lived through that winter in Punxsutawney and the groundhog stayed in his burrow. I remember the day the temps. got up to 0. There was no relief anywhere, period. A bad year in PA.

My 2 cents.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:04 am

I won't argue any of the above but all of those I watched on TV - a loss in person sucks harder than a loss on TV - a loss you travelled to go see is even worse.

The year was 1991 and PSU opened the season by dominating Georgia Tech 34-22 in the Kick Off Classic in the Meadowlands - which I attended - barely - because I had 6 people packed in my Mazda 626, it was 98 degrees, there was traffic and my car blew the radiator just as I got there. But I still enjoyed the win and as I was leaving I saw the GT fans and wondered how much it must have sucked to drive 1/2 a country a way to get your ass kicked. The next week Tony Sacca, Richie Anderson, OJ McDuffie, Darren Perry, Lou Benfatti and some young up and comers like Kyle Brady led an 81-0 demolishing of Cincinnati at the Beav and I was convinced we were going all the way. And I was jacked because - due to an airline promotion - I had three free trip vouchers and was going to LA to see them whip USC with two of my Penn State buds. So big, win, big party and a few days in Cali. Only PSU laid an egg - they just played flat all day and any chance for a win got lost in penalties, dropped passes, dropped INT (I can still see Lee Rubin dropping an easy pick 6) and just uninspired play. Penn State lost 21-10. And the air went right out of our party as we had to listen to bandwagon SC fans rag on PSU (game wasn't a sell out and half the people giving us shit in bar that night hadn't even watched game). And at that moment I knew exactly how those GT fans felt only I had flown across the entire country.

Team ended going 11-2 (lost to eventual NC Miami 26-20) and finished ranked 3rd but that loss was painful. Well at least for me.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:31 pm

I was thinking of witness-in-person defeats when I mentioned the safeties-only box score. The inaugural (in person) game of dejection for me was 1989 Alabama. The crowd was electric as the game-ending drive made it into layup field goal range for what seemed like an awesome comeback to win. The sudden cries of agony, then silence, as that fell apart was a real eye opener for me as a freshman cheering at my first live football games ever...

Bama's perspective

saturdaysarebetter

Postby saturdaysarebetter » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:26 am

I was at the 6-4 loss to Iowa. Never did I feel so bad for our defense which was amazing and scored all the points for us that day. Our offense was just awful. The defense played their hearts out that day and go no help whatsoever from our offense.

The Minnesota loss never did I hear a Beaver Stadium crowd that quiet leaving the game and walking to town.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:53 am

hbendle wrote:I was thinking of witness-in-person defeats when I mentioned the safeties-only box score. The inaugural (in person) game of dejection for me was 1989 Alabama. The crowd was electric as the game-ending drive made it into layup field goal range for what seemed like an awesome comeback to win. The sudden cries of agony, then silence, as that fell apart was a real eye opener for me as a freshman cheering at my first live football games ever...

Bama's perspective

I guess I repressed that one, it is right up there with the 79 Sugar Bowl. I won't repeat my posts on the details and won't berate the dead, again, but our staff blew that one completely. A real shame for everyone and a long drive home that night. Good catch hbendle! ;) :roll: :roll: :roll: (to the staff for the unnecessary TO at the 6 inch line with 19 seconds remaining while the refs had stopped the clock to measure, what a disaster it was) Apologies to Blair Thomas who carried the team down field, six, seven, eight yards a rush with our O-line blowing an exhausted Alabama line off the ball EVERY PLAY!!!!! Only six inches to glory and we settle for a FG...........not. Guess I couldn't help myself, never so angry with Joe as that night. Still PO"d over it like it was yesterday, unnecessary and stupid decisions.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:46 pm

2005 Michigan Game. We would have played for a National Championship if it weren't for that loss :evil:
That was the only time in my life that I went to a local bar by myself and drank heavily. It never happened before and it never happened since.