What was your toughest defeat as a Penn State football fan?

Blue&White

Re: What was your toughest defeat as a Penn State football fan?

Postby Blue&White » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:56 pm

2005 Michiigan is another good one. And, we lost that one on a very questionable out-of-bounds call on a UM receiver.
Baseball season!!!!

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:11 pm

Yes, the '89 loss to 'bama really stung. We lived in Michigan at the time, and I took a lot of grief from UM and MSU fans. We were participating in a block party that afternoon when I disappeared into the house to watch the game all by my lonesome. Blair Thomas was unstoppable on the final drive except for the stop at the goal line. Even with the stupid TO blunder, I was certain we would win this game. Then 'bama put a backup defensive end into the game who possessed a wing span of about 20 feet. When he batted the fg attempt harmlessly to the turf, my wife....out back with neighbors at that moment....thought I'd been murdered as my blood-curdling scream pierced the air and stopped the party in its tracks.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:45 pm

Mad, I understand, everyone who attended or watched the game understands. I've never watched a game taken out of the hands of a team after such a dominating performance as our last drive against Alabama in the 1989 game. Blair Thomas appeared to be running against the scout team. The game was taken out of their hands when it was obviously, easily allowed to be in their hands for one last rush to the end zone, if not, than a field goal attempt. But not as the first solution during a measurement timeout. So much time wasted in the circus on the sideline and then using the last timeout.....@%!%#%!$^$@#^%$&^$%*U$#%^@#$!@$T@^#%$^&%#&^*&#^%@^%#&^%&$^*%^%*#^&#%^@@$^#^&#*(&()&*&*^&%@$#^!!^@@$^@!$##%!@@%^%$&^%*I&(I&^$#&$#%&^^TW$$@^$&^%*&*&^(&^(*(*%)%^@&^$**&^(^#%@^@&#%&#&.......Oh, my wife knew it was a massive blunder as we stood there together in row 66, section WC along with about 80,000 other people there who knew. What a shame for the team. A shame for Blair and the O-line who dominated. Yes, I think the Sugar Bowl loss was devastating, depressing. The 89 Alabama game made folks angry, at least those in the stadium. It wasn't silent as we filed out of the stadium that night. :evil: :evil: :evil:
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:55 am

Joe frequently pivoted from riverboat gambler to utterly predictable. On that day, he was predictable. I want to believe that the ghosts of Sugar Bowl '79 were dancing in his head when he decided to go for the FG. Not good times.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

psuro

Postby psuro » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:38 am

1979 Sugar Bowl vs. Alabama
1986 Orange Bowl vs. Boz, Switzer and OU
1991 vs. Miami (the game at home where younger Sacca throws the ball directly to the Miami DE)
1999 vs. Minnesota
2013 vs Indiana
2015 vs. Temple
2016 vs. Pitt
2017, 2018 vs. OsU and MSU

Clearly I hold onto these issues...

As an added bonus, I will throw in the 1995 Miami-Nebraska Orange Bowl. If Miami would have won that game....and they should have...PSU defeats Oregon and wins the MNC. The Miami QB was Frank Costa, from St. Joe's Prep in Philly. Damn you Frank Costa. Damn you to hell. Although not a PSU game, it still is one of the toughest defeats for me as a PSU fan.

Did I mention - Damn you Frank Costa, Damn you to hell?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:59 am

I was once again in Cali in a bar (PSU was playing Oregon in Rose Bowl) when Costa missed a wide open WR going down sideline for a sure TD - a lot of PSU people in the bar and the air went completely out of the room as everyone knew any chance at MNC fell to the ground with the poorly thrown pass.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psuro

Postby psuro » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:20 pm

sameoldlama wrote:I was once again in Cali in a bar (PSU was playing Oregon in Rose Bowl) when Costa missed a wide open WR going down sideline for a sure TD - a lot of PSU people in the bar and the air went completely out of the room as everyone knew any chance at MNC fell to the ground with the poorly thrown pass.

Repeat after me.....

Damn you Frank Costa. Damn you to hell.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:27 pm

PittGradPSUMad wrote:Joe frequently pivoted from riverboat gambler to utterly predictable. On that day, he was predictable. I want to believe that the ghosts of Sugar Bowl '79 were dancing in his head when he decided to go for the FG. Not good times.

I remember riverboat gambler occasionally, it was always an enormous surprise. The predictable part was constant. Alabama 89 was completely unnecessary, 19 sec. during a Ref. stop in play to measure. Plenty of time to run another play, then try a field goal. As I remember we were awarded a 1st down on the measurement not that it mattered. That was the most vivid I've ever seen fans down on Joe. No one could understand what he wasted our last timeout when the described scenario was sitting there, obvious. Had Alabama stopped us repeatedly I'd understand a bit but Blair had ripped them for nearly 200 yds so far. And it really doesn't matter, the time out was in hand with the clock stopped. We ran the same play 10 times in a row, classic Joe. Sometimes you have to be there to feel the utterly ludicrous situation we were put in.

Whatever, it's done.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt