These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Blue&White

Re: These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:48 pm

My days are numbered

All our days are numbered. You may outlive us all. Positive thoughts, my friend.
Is it baseball season yet?

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:42 pm

Yes, that is possible Bdub but unlikely, I'd like the Vegas odds on that one, not unlike the PSU 2016 football team winning the Big, slim but possible, particularly after the UM game.
No trying to be morose but I've danced with the big dig before and landed green side up (sod that is) so as we say in the business when replacing divots, always "green side up" as unfortunately, some seem to need the instruction.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:38 am

Last fall I paid a bunch of medical bills with my FSA card. 1 month ago they all got rejected and I have to submit new receipts. Try finding records from last October. I dare you. And, the receipts I did find were apparently not "receipt-ey" enough because they want different receipts.

I've wasted about 45 minutes this morning trying to recreate who these bills were for and get them to send me receipts so I can resubmit them.

What a major pain in the ass.

The odd thing is I can't figure out why thy picked this handful of receipts and rejected them. I paid a dozen claims towards the end of the year and they picked 6 at random and rejected them on this issue. Very strange. And annoying as all hell.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:03 pm

I posted a few weeks ago about getting blood work done. I made calls that probably totaled more than an hour. I did research into my own insurance which cost me about 2 hours. And then I spent other time too. Every one I called told me to bend over. I figured I would have ot pay the $250 and deal with it. So, I go to pay my normal $25 on the bill last week and somehow I only owed $25 and paid it. I am not arguing and I don't want to figure out what happened. I am going to pretend that there was nothing to see and ride off into the sunset. More golf money!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:34 am

Last night I went to see U2 in Philly. Had a great time and it was a great show but I am paying for it today. I had to be in NYC this morning which means I had to get up early to catch a train (although I caught a slightly later train than usual). Anyway, I'm on maybe 2 hours of sleep, it's really hot and humid out, and I'm not my normal jovial self this morning (stop laughing, I'm jovial damn it!). How I feel right now is completely self-inflected and the result of choices so I'm not going to take it out on people, generally.

Cut to my arrival in Penn Station. I get off the train and onto the escalator to get to the main floor. At the top of the escalator there are these 2 women, probably late 20s or early 30s, talking. They are right in the way of people coming off the escalator. They can see people are coming off and and having to move around them, and that they are creating a dangerous bottleneck (the escalator doesn't stop due to congestion) and they just keep talking away.

I plowed through right through them. It really takes a lot to get me to do something like that but between how exhausted I am and the sour mood the heat put me in, I didn't care. There was maybe a foot between them and I just plowed in between the two of them. I didn't stop to discuss it. I didn't wait for the standing ovation I'm sure was behind me. I just plowed through and kept walking. I had ear buds on so I'm not even sure if one of them said something to me. Don't care. It was not a morning for the Very Important People to get in my way.

Anyway, you may be thinking "I bet that walking through the hot and humid streeds of NYC in a suit and tie will brighten B&W's disposition" .... nope. Not even a little bit .

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:47 am

Commuting to work in NYC on public transportation in humid weather wearing a suit. I'd rather shove a live tarantula down my pants. Except I'm not wearing pants. I'm sill in my PJs.

Mrs psu_dad: Maybe you should get dressed.
Me: I have a tele-conference in a few minutes, Maybe later.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:01 am

I actually consider coming into NYC for work a "perk". I love being in New York. When I lived in north Jersey and commuted to NYC every day it was a bit much. But, coming in periodicially and getting to hang out and enjoy the city after work? Maybe grab a drink with some people or dinner? That I love and am greateful I can do it and make it a point to be in the city at least monthly. Today is an exception because I had to dress up (meetings), it's stifling outside and I'm on virtually no sleep. I can manage two of those three things. Hit me with all three and I get grumpy. So, today isn't a great NYC day and I'd have much preferred to sleep in a little and work out of my NJ office. It is what it is and I've managed on little sleep in the past and will do so today.

I just didn't have the patience for two nimrods sitting at the top of an escalator and ignoring people trying to get off.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:28 am

One of the fascinating differences between the financial world and the technical world is what a suit conveys. I remember asking my BIL (an accountant) years ago if he had to wear a suit ever day. "No", he said. "I have to wear a gray suit every day".

In the tech world, a suit arouses suspicion. it causes people to a believe that the wearer is maybe a sales weasel, but certainly not technically hardcore, because they'd be dressed like a hobo if they were. Other than weddings and funerals, I'd have no use for a suit.

And speaking of dining, I'm on my own for lunch, Grab me a knish and a cream soda while you're out.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:55 am

I was in NYC yesterday - and yes the sales guys had suits / jackets - dress up for us tech guys were dress pants / button shirt instead of khakis / company polo.

It would have to be some sort of major life event for me to drive into NYC, I take a bus into NYC and arrive at PABT. I then hoofed it to where the meeting was (probably about a mile). It was cloudy yesterday so the heat wasn't oppressive. NYC is OK - once you reach your destination - sports events, concerts, bar scene, museums are all top notch - it's just the oddessey you must endure of getting from Point A to Point B that is miserable.

Traffic into the city is a nightmare. Stepping out of PABT and it was just shoulder to shoulder people on the sidewalk - and it's a dirty city that quite frequently smells bad. The constant noise level is nerve wracking. When I came home to little tiny Easton - got off bus and out to sidewalk no one was within 50 feet of me, the area was clean and I could hear birds chirping. I would love living in NYC as far as "leisure living" - bars, sports - but could never exist there day to day. It's chaos and insanity 24/7 - I don't know how people do it. And I must say - we had lunch at a nice restaurant but the outdoor dining experience is diminished when two homeless guys with their collected trash are sleeping, shouting or pissing 10 feet away from your table.

The aspect that is most jarring to a small town guy is how aggressive people are - as B&W experienced people driving, on sidewalk / terminals / have an FU you get out of my way - they act like no one else exists and everything is a territorial challenge. I get you have to be that to some degree in a large city out of practicality - it's just not for me.
And FYI - I see a large metro area like Phoenix as much different - it has big city issues but nothing like NYC.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:59 am

I actually work on the technology side of the world and have my whole career. I'm on the business side of technology, obviously, but I'm a bit more tech savvy than you may think. My job is to negotiate technology contracts so I've been forced to learn.

Also, while there are a few good delis in midtown, they are all huge tourists traps and there is no getting quickly in and out for lunch. I'll grab you that kinish next time I'm in Brooklyn. I know a great place.

Lama - I rarely drive into NYC. I take a train in for work and when the family and I come in we drive up to Jersey City and take the path in. Driving in the city really sucks.