These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Carl Spackler

Re: These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:17 pm

Blue&White wrote:Also, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.

The chinaman is not the issue here.

Where is appoo when you need him, the king of invented "slurs".

It's Oriental btw....... e.g. from the Orient.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:54 pm

You need to check your source, Carl. My good friend and colleague...my mentor...was born and raised in New Delhi. He was asked about this once at a social gathering. He politely shook his head and said Asian is the proper nomenclature. I'm going with Asian.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:32 pm

Blue&White wrote:So, I just boarded my flight and it's the best experience I've had in years. Security was a breeze. Flight not only boarded on time, but but boarding was simple. People waited their turn and it wasn't a free for all. It was the opposite of every experience the past 2 or so years.

It's been nice knowing all of you, but I'm pretty sure this flight is doomed and we're all going to die in a crash.

I knew the gods would punish me for the easy trip down. 90 minute delay out of Charlotte only to board the plane and then sit an hour due to lightning.

Stupid gods.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:20 pm

PittGradPSUMad wrote:You need to check your source, Carl. My good friend and colleague...my mentor...was born and raised in New Delhi. He was asked about this once at a social gathering. He politely shook his head and said Asian is the proper nomenclature. I'm going with Asian.

My friend from an old deli, when buying a great sammich, told me Oriental is the way to go. ;) Neither is a race, both ID geographical areas.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:32 pm

I was supposed to fly home from Seattle at 8 AM. At 2:30 AM my phone rings. It's American Airlines calling to tell me my flight was canceled but to have a nice day.

So much for work tomorrow. I'm on a redeye with a stop and will be home at noon.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:08 pm

I still don't understand airport security.

I recently had to fly on a business related trip. When in the security line I noticed they weren't making passengers take off their shoes. However, they made me take off my flip flops. The TSA lady literally pointed to me and ordered me to take off my shoes so she could see my feet. What could I possibly hide in flip flops? I would think regular shoes would be more of a "risk" and they would've been thankful to me for making their lives easier.

And since I had no socks on it's not like I could hide anything around my ankles and lower legs.

Other than some weird looks I got from other people in line it wasn't a big deal. Just one of those things that makes me wonder.
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:28 pm

It's all bullshit. Different airports have different rules, which by itself highlights they are making this up. I royally pissed off a TSA person a few weeks ago when I pointed that out to her. But, that the security procedures vary so much from airport to airport proves, to me, this is not based on real security concerns.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:47 pm

Here's a peeve - bullshit begging sob stories. I hung in NYC and had dinner with some friends and am first heading home. I've had 3 different people come in to my car asking for money like I'm a moron. One guy is $7 short for a train ticket home. Oh, and it's his birthday. Another guy is $12 short for a train ticket and needs cab fare on the back end. The last guy's wife threw him out - on their anniversary no less - and he can afford the train ticket but needs some cash for a cheap motel and maybe some food.

All of these guys look like what they really need is a drink or a fix. Just leave me alone already.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:38 am

A friend of mine had someone try and pull one of those stories except this guy said he just got out of jail and needed money for a train ticket home...
41-33.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:28 am

While this has always been a "feature" of city living, it seems to be creeping into suburbia as well. I've been approached a couple of times in the last year or so. Once at a gas station and once in a Home Depot parking lot. In neighboring towns, of course. The Chief of Police in Snobville would never tolerate that.

Let me make something plain. I don't like you sucking around bothering our citizens. I don't like your jerk-off name. I don't like your jerk-off face. I don't like your jerk-off behavior. And I don't like you. Jerk-off.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)